Thread: Pluged Water Cooled Spindle

Pluged Water Cooled Spindle

Has anyone dealt with a Chinese water cooled spindle that wont pass water. My new less than 3 month old Laguna IQ is raising it's ugly head again. Came in today, after being down since the holidays. Powered the machine up and plugged in the water pump, but no water is flowing. I verified that the pump is working, I reveresed the tubes several times, I disconnected the tubes to make sure the lines werent plugged. Everything seem fine. I'm figuring the spindle is plugged.

Has anyone un-clogged a Chiese spindle before?

Thanks
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

I have never had a plugged spindle/coolant issue Ernie. Could you drain it fully, and test for the clog with some really light air blowing through it? You dont have one way valves do you anywhere?

After it is fixed, consider this. I use a flow indicator on my system (from a computer water cooling setup - think submerged waterwheel) to have visual reference everything is working. My system is closed loop and mounted on my X carriage.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

No check valves or anything. I used a compressor and blew the out of the spindle and was able to get water flowing again, but it's still very restrictive. The pump puts out a respectable head pressure, but there is a lot of resistance through the spindle. It's not overheating so I'm good for now.

A flow indicator is a good idea but I may just save for an air cooled HSD. This Laguna IQ keeps getting more an more expensive.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-09-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

Hi Ernie -

Do you have the pumps and water in an enclosed container - so no wood chips can suck through at all?
    I would also disconnect the lines and blow them out along with the spindle - and maybe do it in reverse as well. It could be clogged
    in one direction.

Tom

I'm having this problem right now. The spindle is nearly a year old and the flow has never really been impressive. We were down to blowing it clear every couple of days until we switched over to a radiator type coolant. Ran for a few weeks without any real change but this morning its plugged. In the past air blown through cleared it. Doesnt seem to want to clear now.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Not much help for the clog but I suggest folks use a sealed coolant system and computer/pc cooling coolant that wont grow anything to clog the system. Also install a flow indicator on the system.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.