Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: waterstone questions… please

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Children and buckets of water

That would be my guess, Stan, since 3 year olds don't attend schools or summer camps or movies where these gun toting psychopaths go to find the easiest prey. Of course, we'd know much more about guns and society if the NRA hadn't cut off NIH research years ago. Wimps.

Real Japanese shop

Charlie, this is fairly easy, just watch some videos; but Stu's shop is real and it's in Japan, so look at his videos.
    Nope, not looking for something like Stu's shop. I'd like to see what it all looks like in a shop with at least five to ten guys - doesn't matter if it's a joinery shop or a furniture shop (forgive the western terms), just want to get a glimpse into a busy shop.

If you have a handy link to videos I'd be most appreciative.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    How to eliminate stone slurry: dump it in the yard. Neither should you put cat litter down the drain!!
    Just make sure you avoid your wife's flowers and plants. I stupidly dumped a bunch of slurry into a pea gravel bed with monkey grass in it. The monkey had yellow (gold) and white slurry from Norton's 4000 and 8000 on it. I acted innocent at first but later confessed to the deed.

Dan,I don't know how to cut and paste the chart showing that which was put up on another forum. But,it would be best not to spread a debate about this here. I should not have mentioned it. I don't now where people dig up these charts. The real cause of murders is people and their intent,not what they do it with.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-10-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Ross View Post
    Dan, It’s simple, don’t give your opinion… I’m asking about stones, not your opinion on guns. Thankyou!!
    [Deleted by author]
    Last edited by Dan Alt; 01-10-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Getting back on topic.

SORRY I mentioned it!! Let's stop this right now,or it will lead to trouble with the moderators.

Charlie - had a chance to play with the new stones much? What do you think of them?

You guys could all delete your threads on anything past baseball bats instead of waiting for a moderator to make a decision. At least it would preserve the thread.

We have, in my opinion, the best moderator on this board topic, but that doesn't mean that Dave is always going to be the one on duty deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Charlie - had a chance to play with the new stones much? What do you think of them?
    I sharpened one iron, Not much to form much of a opinion on yet… It did a nice job. I just purchased some planes also, so I’m on a bit of a learning curve in my shop. I’ve mostly used power tools up till now, but think I’m really going to like what hand tools add to my woodworking.

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I've had a Japanese 1000/6000 waterstone soaking continuously for about 20 years with no apparent problems. I keep it in a Tupperware type container.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Matarazzo View Post
    I'm by no means an expert on this, but I've had a Japanese 1000/6000 waterstone soaking continuously for about 20 years...
    Wow! That's only as often as you have to sharpen???

Cool...

Well of course I remove it from the water when I have to use it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Dan,I don't know how to cut and paste the chart showing that which was put up on another forum. But,it would be best not to spread a debate about this here. I should not have mentioned it. I don't now where people dig up these charts. The real cause of murders is people and their intent,not what they do it with.
    George,

It is my recollection that you use a Macintosh. If you press and hold the shift, command and the 4 keys a cross hair should appear on your screen. Set this at one corner of the image area you want to capture, then click and hold. Move the cross hair to the opposite corner of the image and release. An image file should then appear on your desktop.

If this doesn't happen, you may have the keyboard shortcuts turned off. To toggle keyboard shortcuts between on and off press the control and F1 key.

To learn more about these options check out the Keyboard & Mouse set up in the System Preferences:

Picture 6.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you,Jim.

Blog Entries
    Your very welcome.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Children and buckets of water That would be my guess,
    I am not joking about 5 gal buckets, and I did not bring the subject up to provoke anyone. The best bucket for stones is a 5 gal taping mud or paint bucket with a snap on lid. Like the orange ones sold at home despot, but the commercial ones used in construction materials are much tougher. Problem with them is that they are just the right height for a small child to lean over the lip, imitating a dog drinking water, whereupon, since the child has a relatively heavy head, he loses his balance and falls headfirst into the bucket. And he can't get the leverage to get out. And no one can hear him scream. If there is water in the bottom, he drowns. If empty, well the final result is similar if the time is longer.

Serious stuff guys. Don't keep 5 gallon buckets where small children can get at them. No sharpening regimen is worth it.

Stan