Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If I were going to buy ONE hand held router, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    I'd buy this again in a heartbeat. Cman pro 14 amp(2.5hp) var speed soft start plunge and fixed bases. Edge guide and soft case. On sale now for $143 online (I paid even less). The only complaint is I had to buy extra sub base plates to get bigger bit opening. Plenty of good reviews. Best router deal around IMO.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-14-am...3&blockType=G3
    I have to wonder if that one may be made by Dewalt (entirely possible for the Craftsman Professional line). Comparing it to my DW618, it's handles appear to be the same shape, the "hood" over the power switch looks the same, and it has a very similar looking setup for allowing the power cord to be removed. Granted, it is definately not identical, and in today's cross over of tool manufactures, it doesn't tell you much, but I thought it interesting none the less...

I have 2 of the Hitachi M12vc. One was a kit with a plunge and regular base, the other just has the regular base. Got both on sales at Lowes, one was on close out, below 100$
    They have a soft start, built in speed control, good balance, run smoother than any pc I have. I think I have 7 or 8 routers, incl cman, porter cable, ryobi and 3 hitachi routers, one is the old 3 1/4 hp M12. The cman routers are the least quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    I'd buy this again in a heartbeat. Cman pro 14 amp(2.5hp) var speed soft start plunge and fixed bases. Edge guide and soft case. On sale now for $143 online (I paid even less). The only complaint is I had to buy extra sub base plates to get bigger bit opening. Plenty of good reviews. Best router deal around IMO.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-14-am...3&blockType=G3

I have to agree, DO NOT overlook the Craftsman routers.

I took a chance and bought the 27683 combo kit almost a year ago and I'm glad I did. It has performed very well so far. I'll admit that this is the first full sized router I've ever owned, but for $120 it has all the features I need. The fit & finish also seems to be pretty rock solid. In fact, I plan to buy another one for the router table (once my shop construction is finally completed).

I highly recommend getting one for beginners, because:
    - 2hp is plenty of power
    - Soft start and veriable speed control work great
    - It isn't top heavy and glides like a dream
    - If he happens to break it, no big deal since it was cheap

I know Craftsman has a bad rep, but I have no complaints with this router.
    Last edited by John Hays; 01-09-2013 at 11:06 PM.

A router fits your hand or it doesn’t. A simple and important feature.

If your son lives close by, gives him a gift certificate for a router. Then he or both of you take a woodworking “culture trip” to the various tool suppliers and have him handle the routers on display. That was he can pick what feels right to him.

If he doe not live close by, you could send him a gift certificate for a router and reimburse him.

Seems to be a worthwhile solution as over the years I have know a few woodworkers who were “gifted” with tools that were not utilized very much or eventually replaced because they just did not feel right or were not what they really desired….

Good point Ray. How the tool fits is a high consideration.

My favorite free hand routers almost all have a trigger rather than toggle and a handles over a knobs.

As with any tool, one can "get used to it" over time but it is nice to get one that feels good from the get go.

I have basically the same question as the original poster on this thread. I'm adding this comment so that I can subscribe to the thread and get additional updates/information.

Thanks all.....

Only if I could have only one router it would be this baby
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/POR...E-Router-4Z950

just wished they still made them
    Small compact easy to control
    mine is 30 plus years plus and the first one I grab for free hand work
    Carpe Lignum

Porter Cable 690.....

Splurge and get the kit with fixed base, plunge base, and the D-handle.

Lornie

Another vote for the Milwaukee 5616, probably the best all around router I've ever owned.

Another vote for the PC690.
    Sort of the Ford F100 of routers...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gronsky View Post
    I have basically the same question as the original poster on this thread. I'm adding this comment so that I can subscribe to the thread and get additional updates/information.

Thanks all.....
    Steve

I've owned a few routers through the years. PC 8529, Milwaukee 5615, PC890, a DeWalt (I forget the model #) A couple of older crappy Craftsman's, and Festool OF2200. I've also used a bunch of others that belonged to other people.

The PC8529's are workhorses. No doubt about it. These are powerful routers. If you have largish hands they are comfortable as handhelds, but in a bench they shine.
    The Milwaukee 5615 was a very comfortable router in the hand. I loved the body grip. I broke two of them on the same project, and bought a DeWalt after that. Both times the motor burned out routing long grooves in Jatoba. It's still a very nice router, just don't abuse it like I did. I probably would have tried the 5625 the second time, but they didn't have one, so I got a DeWalt instead. Nice router, But I was sort of clumsy with it. It just didn't fit my hands.
    The PC 890 is small and compact, but I don't like it. Mine is loud and whines. There is a high frequency vibration to it that is very fatiguing to the hands. But the noise is too much. I keep it because of it's size, but rarely use it.
    The Craftsman's were junk. A waste of good plastic and aluminum.
    The Festool is everything I want in a handheld router. Big, powerful, smooth. It took the place of a PC 8529 I was using that was beating my hands up while routing thick Padauk. But it is a big router, physically, and somewhat heavy. I have larger hands so I don't have an issue using the Festool handheld,but I could easily see that someone with smaller hands would have trouble. I guess you could mount the Festool in a router table, but it seems like a waste too me. It truly was designed around being handheld. My PC 8529's are set up for the router table anyway, and they're little beasts.

Bottom line in my opinion is that there is no best router. Each person has to find the one that suits them the best.
    To answer the original question though. For me the OF2200 is hands down the nicest handheld router I've used to date.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-10-2013 at 9:26 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I'd be lookin' at DW 621.
    An Elu in yellow clothing, still the best mid-sized plunger that can do fixed base work as well as any fixed base.
    Strangely, has its price high for >20 years.

My go to router of choice is the Bosch 1618 EVS D handle. I did wind up buying the plunge base separately later on and think the dual base combo is a pretty nice setup although I do like the D handle very much. The router has been very reliable and the snap in bushing adapter including the ability to use PC style guides is great for what I do. I've used it for many different applications including the Leigh dovetail jig and always get excellent results. Wouldn't trade mine.
    Dick Mahany.

14. I have a Hitachi M12 31/4 HP plunge in my router table with Jess-em Rout-R-Lift, an old (70's) Craftsman fixed base 13/4 HP, a DeWalt DW621 plunge, and a Bosch 1608 trim router. They are all good at at least one thing. Times have changed and if I could only have one router it would be one of the Bosch or DeWalt 2 1/4 HP kit with both plunge and fixed base. I would also get an optional D-Handle fixed base. When I finally decided to build or buy a good router table, you can get a 3 1/4 HP motor only from many companies and put it in a good router lift. My only regret is none of my routers easily adapt to custom bases or modern router lifts.

Also, don't ignore PC ( the oldest name in hand held power tools ). also, Craftsman, just beware that their routers usually don't review as good as the others. Milwaukee makes a well respected router too.

I do a lot of cabinets and boxes and my mix and match serves me well. I would go to a big box and just hold the tools you are considering and pick the one that feels most comfortable. And remember, if your choice costs substantially less than the others, there is a reason.

Blog Entries
    So Scott. . . wudidga do?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler