Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 inch jointer

6 inch jointer

This question has been asked a thousand times before probably. I'm looking for a 6 inch jointer. Rikon and Delta don't seem to make them any more. That leave Jet, Grizzly, and Powermatic that I know of. Anyone have a preference. ALso any experience with Helical knives. The ease of changing alone seems to be worth the extra money. Thanks in advance for your input.

I had a Jet and it was ok but I don't think it was worth them money I paid for it. It was the only on that had handwheels. I didn't know about Grizzly at that Time. I sold it for an 8" Shop Fox (Same as G0490) becahse I wanted a spiral head and didn't want to waste money to put the head on the 6". Don't forget about the Ridigid that gets godd reviews. I see so many 6" jointers on CL that I would have to think twice about buying a new 6" jointer. Your CL may be diffferent.

I agree with Cary. If you are looking for a 6" look for used. Most people start with the 6" and move forward. I started with a tiny 4, then 6, then 8, then 10, and finally 14". Where are you located? That would help us offer advice.

I couldnt find one on CL and had been researching one for a long time. Through a series of happy coincidences I was surprised with one for my Bday/Christmas present. It was the Powermatic with the easy set kives. I can tell you it's only been a couple weeks but that sucker went together and was dead set perfect in every way... I used it quite a bit last weekend and can say I am thrilled. It was pricey, but since "she bought" it, i sort of got a hall pass

BIg thank you to my Dad for vectoring her to it... but it was the best surprise since I was a kid, Ralphie and his red ryder BB gun got nothing on me....

Sorry if this turned into a gloat, but it really is a great jointer.

This is what I decided on for my small shop and it has been a great tool. No frustrations - set up was as it came. http://www.powermatic.com/Products.aspx?Part=1791279DXK I like the longer bed since I can't have the wider bed .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I'd go for at least an 8" if you are buying a jointer. When I moved up from a 6", found the 6" wasn't worth much, so just gave it to a friend. Cheaper to just buy what you are really going to want, than moving up from a 6" to an 8" or 12". Grizzly jointers are just fine, when I get a new Grizzly tool, I feel around on the castings for sharp edges, and just take them off with a file. Otherwise they are just as good as the more expensive jointers.

I agree that best to get the 8" in the long run.

If it was my dream shop.

The first jointer size would be 16".
    It will be used for flattening a face only.

The second size would be 8".
    It will be used for squaring an edge only.

Last would be the bench top jointer. Used for short pieces like 5-8" long pieces.
    Last edited by Steven Hsieh; 01-09-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Do you have a budget?

Thanks to all for your input. I agree that an 8" jointer would be preferable, but I'm not sure I'd be able to set it up (due to the weight of the bed). I'm not at all interested in having to spend any time setting up the knives which is why I would prefer a jointer with a helical head. Space is another consideration for the 6 over the 8 inch jointer (as in I don't have a lot of it). I have a Grizzley band saw and sanding station, and a Jet table saw. From what I can see Grizzley seems to be the best for the price, while Powermatic seems to be the best for overall quality. There's a woodworking show coming up at the Eastern States in West Springfield, Ma (I'm from Ct). I may check it out. Again, thanks for your input.

Just a bit more about the Powermatic I linked to it does use double sided knives which change out very easily. it will take a Byrd head. I think it has the longest bed of the 6" jointers available (used to anyway) which is a very useful feature on a jointer.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I realize that this is not what you want to year, but there may be good reasons why some companies are not making them anymore...I outgrew mine in about 5-10 minutes...I upgraded to a g0490x (8" helical) and while I love it, the second I see a deal on a 12" or larger helical jointer, I will buy it immediately.

I would try and find a way to fit the slightly larger footprint of the 8", you will be happy that you did.

I found several links for a Rikon when I googled Rikon Jointer. Here's one: http://www.oakale.com/products/Rikon...1ZW01BV99.html
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I have an OLD grizzly 6", and it does everything I ask of it. I think it's a 1187.

I had a Delta 6" and moved up to a Delta 8" DJ20 that I found used. The 8" was great but took up a lot of floor space and was too much for my new shop after relocating. After watching Craigs list for a couple of months, I found a 6" Jet that would fit in my shop and do a reasonable job for my needs. I did use it to edge some 1x6 - 7'long ash by myself on the shorter tables using and extra outfeed roller. You sometimes have to just work with what space and $$ will allow. I would rather use the space and $$ for other toys, like adding back a mini lathe to go with my Powermatic.

Take a look at General International machines. My experience is you get s lot for the money and fit and finish is very good.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville