Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigid LSA and Li-Ion Batteries...

Rigid LSA and Li-Ion Batteries...

I currently have a 18v Ryobi drill and it has treated me very well over the past 8 or so years. About 3 or 4 years ago the original batteries died on me and I purchased 2 ni-cad replacement batteries. I am still able to charge them but they don't hold their charge for very long anymore.

I have been looking at a few different options. I can purchase a new Ryobi Li-ion drill package with 2 batteries, charger and drill and the new batteries will work in all my old Ryobi tools. The other option would be to get a Rigid Li-Ion drill but that only comes with one battery but is supposed to have the Lifetime service agreement on everything including the batteries. So when the battery does go I could get a new one for free.

Has anyone ever had to change out their Rigid batteries using the LSA. Is it difficult to do?...trying to figure out if the rigid is worth it due to the LSA or if I should stick with the Ryobi so that I can now have 2 drills and new batteries for all my other cordless stuff, trim saw, light, vac etc...

Thanks,
    Greg

2. I have read many stories of issues with cashing in on that LSA when it comes to drills. I own some Rigid tools. I opted for Milwaukee when I just upgraded my drill/impact combo. It took me a month on what brand to buy. In the long run I didn't choose Rigid for this application because there wasn't a service center near by and I just heard to many people say they got hosed on new batteries.

Greg,
    About two years ago, I purchased a Ridgid cordless drill with Li-Ion batteries. I promptly sent in the required info to register it for the LSA. To this day, I never received the LSA. About the same time, I purchased a Ridgid Job-Max multi-tool. It had been used very little when one of the batteries would not take a charge. I took the battery to the nearest Home Depot to be repaired/replaced. Six weeks later I got a call saying the battery was in. Turns out it was a new battery, but SIX WEEKS is ridiculous! Maybe my experience with Ridgid is unusual, but I personally would think twice about Ridgid and their LSA.

Dick

I bought a Ridgid drill with the LSA and it took about a year and a half to finally get confirmation from them. I have had my batteries replaced once and am ready to have another one replaced. Luckily, there is an authorized repair center in Las Vegas that just exchanges them out with no wait. I wish Las Vegas wasn't a three hour drive, but I do get there once a month for family.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Holt View Post
    Greg,
    ...Maybe my experience with Ridgid is unusual, but I personally would think twice about Ridgid and their LSA.
    Dick
    Similar experience, plus a 40 mi round trip to their SC to exchange the packs. Seems they went out of their way to locate it as far away from the population centers (and dealers) as possible in this area. Pretty much makes their LSA worthless to me. I happily sold them for 1/3 of what I paid. I replaced them with DeWalt, which means I'll be on the hook for pack replacements, but I've yet to have one give up. So far it's been zero failures vs 3 in about the same time frame.
    - Tom

I have had excellent results

Both myself and daughter have Rigid drills for past several years. I have replaced my batteries twice and her's once. You must precisely fill out the warranty material for drill AND battery packs. I (actually daughter)take the ill batteries to a service center near Greeneville, SC. Takes 2-3 weeks to get a new one. If I don't pick them up they get mailed for free. However, I was told recently that my local Home Depot would take the batteries for replacement (Kingsport, TN).

If you own a battery powered drill the batteries will die in a few years more or less depending on your use. The economy of the free replacement can not be beat in my opinion.

HDs with tool rental departments are now, i'm told, administering the LSA. tools may be brought there for transport to repair centers and batteries are replaced there also. i've no first hand knowledge of this and my local HD doesn't rent tools.

I have replaced 3 batteries under LSA; as I'm in a big city and there is a service center in town it took less than two weeks for the batteries to arrive (new ones); no hassle and very easy.
    Be sure to re-register the new batteries each time you change them. In fact every time you change a tool or battery the new one should be registered again.
    I think it's well worth the little work of registering if I really get free battery for life as they are almost 2/3 of the price of a tool.

I bought into that LSA crap, will NEVER buy Ridgid again. Should be simple to replace a LIFETIME battery. I was told I had to ship the drill, battery and charger to a service center so they could determine IF they would replace my battery. Shipping both ways on my dime would be almost as expensive to buy a new battery. I have since switched over to Makita. Screw Ridgid. Maybe you can guess I'm not a happy camper

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Gibbens View Post
    I bought into that LSA crap, will NEVER buy Ridgid again. Should be simple to replace a LIFETIME battery. I was told I had to ship the drill, battery and charger to a service center so they could determine IF they would replace my battery. Shipping both ways on my dime would be almost as expensive to buy a new battery. I have since switched over to Makita. Screw Ridgid. Maybe you can guess I'm not a happy camper
    I'm with Kim,
    Had one fail, called a service center 15 miles away. They wouldn't let me bring it in, nor would they work on it since they were "swamped". I took it over after Christmas and they told me they still would not take it, and I would have to ship it somewhere after the first of the year. I'm standing in the service center and I have to ship it? Never will I buy another Rigid. Do a Google search, complaints are rampant. Many complain of poor life on the replacement packs, long waits for replacement, and failed requests for replacements when the customer didn't register the replacement pac sent by Rigid. We have Bosch cordless at work, that's what I buy the next time.

My experience has been GOOD. Have replaced several sets of LI batteries under LSA. If service center has batteries in stock (and Ridgid has paid them what they are owed,) it only takes a few minutes. Service center registered my batteries, as they have account for every battery, both defective and new. Nothing in ORIGINAL paperwork requires owner to register replacement batteries. It says "FREE FOR LIFE with LSA.

thank you everyone for your experiences....guess i am still more confused than ever on what i should get. guess I will have to do some more thinking this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    My experience has been GOOD. Have replaced several sets of LI batteries under LSA. If service center has batteries in stock (and Ridgid has paid them what they are owed,) it only takes a few minutes. Service center registered my batteries, as they have account for every battery, both defective and new. Nothing in ORIGINAL paperwork requires owner to register replacement batteries. It says "FREE FOR LIFE with LSA.
    that's recently been changed. please see the LSA T&C. under "How to Obtain Service", "Replacement":

http://www.ridgid.com/tools/power-tool-warranty

still, ridgid are the only hand held and stationary power tools i try to buy. i never like paying for things twice. and since i'm in the NYC tristate area, there's a lot of places to get the products serviced, including HDs with tool rental depts. but i cab see having to get the defective items to a service center of any kind being a hassle if one lives in a rural area.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    thank you everyone for your experiences....guess i am still more confused than ever on what i should get. guess I will have to do some more thinking this weekend.
    FWIW, back in 2003/03, we started collecting power tools. started with ryobi but changed to ridgid for the 3 year guaranty and the LSA. never regretted it.

LSA terms in effect at time of purchase govern. Any changes would be a change of contract, upon which both parties must agree. They also say any extras (batteries) not included with tool aren't eligible for LSA. However some of their advertising says different, including current banner on display in HD. When I bought my last drill, it came with a extra free battery, which display indicated it was eligible for LSA. I made a copy of display and keep it with my paper work. This is an item for state attorney general's office to determine. Costs me nothing for them to examine display, and determine if extra battery is covered or not. Goes under false and deceptive advertising laws.