Thread: "Happy Medium" advice re setting up CI wings on my TS

"Happy Medium" advice re setting up CI wings on my TS

Hi all -

I'm about to install my new fence on my TS.

What's the best way to keep things from shifting left-to-right as I start tightening bolts?

What's the best reconcilation for straightness across the wings and TS top? The centre portion has a .0025 dip at the back only - without the wings.

Should I set the wings sliiightly lower? By how much?

If they're lower next to the centre but are level out at the ends is that OK? I've shimmed the centre portion with two strips of cellophane tape...

Any advice on this tiny niggling shifting nonsense would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

You want to get the entire top as flat as possible, including wings.
    Joint a couple 2x4s and clamp them across the top so they stick out the sides where the wings will be. Bolt up your wings, clamp them to same board and see if there is a problem. If not, you're set. If so, shim with a little tape or something. It sometimes takes a couple taps with a mallet when the bolts are snug (but not tight) to get rid of any little lip between the wing and top. Spend the effort to get it right, it's worth it.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Clamps are your friend. They hold parts in alignment while you tighten bolts. A very smooth and effective way to microadjust parts that are too low is to use a spreader clamp between the underside of the misaligned part and the shop floor. I set up my last saw by installing the extension wings a tad low and only partially tightening the mounting bolts. I then used the spreader to microadjust them up until the alignment was perfect. They didn't shift as I put final torque on the bolts. I cantilevered a straightedge over the extension wing and used the spreader method again to get the far end of the extension neatly against the underside of the straightedge before tightening the fence bolts that hold it in place.

Best of luck, Dave