Thread: Old Iron Reborn

Old Iron Reborn

Just wrapped up an exhaustive project today, hope some will find useful tips in it.

MBF_Begin2.jpg

- Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Spectacular job. Great documentation of the process. Wish they made 'em that way today!
    Dick Mahany.

Dick, they still do. Just get out your checkbook.

http://www.originalsaw.com/woodcutting.html

Excellent job on the restoration. I'm in the middle of a DeWalt GK right now. Hope it turns out half that nice.

Ryan

Imma Delta/Rockwell man, but those DeWalts are mighty fine too! Nothing like a big RAS with wide crosscut capacity when it's needed! Plenty of Hp. for 8/4 oak, or a whole stack of plywood cut to the exact same width! Enjoy!

~~Chip~~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Beautiful work. My Grand father used an MBF in his shop when I was a kid, wish it was still in the family. I ended up getting a 24" GR 2HP, I cleaned it and tuned it but never had the motivation to take it back like you have there. Not sure the industrial models were as flashy as slick as the home shop models, mine sure isn't,, but the pedigree and out line are similar. Thanks for sharing that Hank.

Looks great Hank.

Great job and what a wonderful documentation of your work! So how many RAS's does this make for you now?

Great writeup!!

Thanks for posting, that was inspiring! My GE is going to get that treatment someday.

Wonderful job on the rebuild. The colors you chose look great on the machine. How does it operate for you?

Interesting to see the Original Saw Company makes one, but did the publish prices? Delta still makes their Radial Arm Saw in the USA (with domestic and foreign components). The new one weighs in at 166 pounds. Yours looks more stout.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/produc...aws/item/rs830

Great looking saw!
    Duc in altum!

Hank,

Great job on your saw. I really enjoyed watching your progress. Thanks for posting.

Sam

Real nice, Hank,

Appreciate your work documenting the build.

Rick Potter

What size blade does it use? I believe my Dad had the same saw and it was a 9" and he almost couldn't find blades.

It swings a 9" blade, given the manufacturing date range of MBC’s and MBF’s, the average residential electrical service back in the late ‘40’s through late ‘50’s was only 120 volt, 30 amps. maximum. That explains the lower h.p. motors those units had. 9.8 amps for an MBF represented about 1/3rd of the typical home’s power available from a fused load center. Personally, an 8" blade works extremely well for most projects, I like this choice.

- Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.