Thread: New to turning wood question

New to turning wood question

I've recently started turning with some success, having made a few bowls that turned out quite well considering my experience. I'm turning whatever free (green) wood I can get my hands on. So far, it's been cherry and black walnut. Here's my question: what woods, if any, are not food safe? I've got a handle on food safe finishes. Are there woods to avoid? I'm going to continue to turn whatever I have access to; I just want to make sure that if I have something that isn't appropriate for food, I label it as such.

Some folks have allergies to black walnut. Most other domestic varieties are ok. When you get into rosewoods.. lookout. There are people who have severe allergies to rosewood and exotics.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I tend to avoid most of the oilier foreign woods when making utility pieces. Like Scott said, the rosewoods are some to especially look out for.

Also, when I'm making bowls and utensils that I know will be used with food, I try to make sure and use tight grained woods. The less places for bacteria to hide, the better.

Question regarding rosewoods and other exotics: would you not then consider these woods for a peppermill? Better safe than sorry?

As far as food safe I use domestic woods. Never had a problem with allergies from cottonwood to walnut. I use either Mike Mahonys or Drs walnut oil only for my utility food pieces.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Different people react to different things. You have toassume that the wood, rather than the finish would contact the food. Finishescan wear over time. To extend the discussion in that direction, all finishes,once cured are food safe. Despite the Doomsday theorists...they are. Mesquitebugs the crap out of me, so I don't use it much and sure wouldn't make utensils from it. Give it some thought...some great websites on the toxicities of wood varities.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Some folks have allergies to black walnut. Most other domestic varieties are ok. When you get into rosewoods.. lookout. There are people who have severe allergies to rosewood and exotics.
    I know that I am extremely allergic to the rosewood dust during turning and finishing, just as I am to Poison Ivy. I did have a itchy reaction several years ago to just being in the presence of a piece of silky oak when visiting the Big Island, HI that was brought to the local club meeting in a bag and pulled out 15' away, and not worked or passed around. That said, I do not know of having a reaction to a finished piece of rosewood done by someone else or purchased.

Some people can react to walnut. I do if I spend a long day turning it. For some, the scent of walnut can drive them crazy, while others love it. Generally the scent goes away as the bowl ages. If you serve soup in a walnut bowl, or ice cream for that matter, the cold and heat can draw the walnut flavor into whatever you are eating. Maple is always safe as far as I know, and so are the fruit woods. Cherry is always one of the first ones to go when I have it.

robo hippy

+1 on avoiding open grained woods for use with food, unless you fill the grain. The bacteria that can grow there will pose a greater risk than any wood is likely to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    +1 on avoiding open grained woods for use with food, unless you fill the grain. The bacteria that can grow there will pose a greater risk than any wood is likely to.
    If you think/believe that bacteria grow in/on wood, then maybe you should read this report.

There is a good reason wood has been used for centuries as cutting blocks and boards, it does not support bacterial growth !!

http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF11/1121B.html
    Have fun and take care

Great article Leo...I remember reading this one several years ago...i was really surprised by the findings.

Really good info Leo--as a forester I followed this Government fiasco closely. Several years prior to this study our big brothers in washington declared that wood cutting boards were obviously unsafe and had to go. Much time and treasure was spent in complying with the new regulations and then someone asked on what was this decesion based. Zip---also the public was misinformed and the rumorwill never die. This has been backed up by several studies since but the regulations cannot be killed as easily as bacteria.

I would avoid spalted wood for use with food. Pretty, but contains active mold spores
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Who knew? Thanks for the information, Leo.