Thread: Good lumber sources close to Montpelier VT?

Good lumber sources close to Montpelier VT?

I'm relatively new to the Montpelier VT area and would like to know where other Vermont Creekers get their wood from. Looking mainly for for maple (figured), walnut, cherry, etc. Sometimes I grab some other stuff (exotics) but not too much.

Prefer rough cut, but sometimes I also buy surfaced.

Mostly for hobby/house projects, don't need to buy a ton, but I like to stock up a few times per year for upcoming projects.

Any info appreciated.

There's nothing great real close to Montpelier. My favorite hardwood supplier is the Johnson Lumber Co. in Bristol, a nice drive over the App gap. Paul LaRose in Barre will have some species sometimes. Architectural Woodworks in Barre likewise. Northend hardwoods in Williston and Lyndonville is okay, not great. Some local mills, Fontaines in East Montpelier has a kiln but very spotty what they have prepared. Ed Letourneau in Marshfield often has air dried various native species. Those are what come to mind. There are others, particularly local and portable mills, but generally air dried. P and R in Wolcott sometimes has hardwood, again local, air dried.
    David in Plainfield

Thanks for the great info David, much appreciated.

Try this link. Just add the www.
    manta.com/mb_44_E01A5_46/sawmills_and_planing_mills_general/vermont

If you ever are traveling down to southern NH, you could stock up at Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood, NH. http://www.highlandhardwoods.com/

Craig, I used to live in Williamstown and will second what David said about sources. Johnson's is the best but is a bit of a drive. My next choice was always Morse Hardwoods in Colchester, though. Much better prices than Northend but sometimes their racks were overflowing and sometimes near empty. Call first if you know what you're looking for. My other suggestion is Craigslist. Everybody and their cousin has a sawmill in VT and sometimes you can find some great deals.

I bought most of my cherry from Burlington area sawyers through Craigslist.

I can't find the link, but one of the regulars is a Saint Albans resident working for Mylan.

There might be some extra stash at Bob Fletcher's shop, too.
    http://www.vermontwoodworkingschool....S_08/HOME.html

Craig -

I've had good luck with Lathrop's in Bristol. They're just down the road from A. Johnson Lumber Co. in Bristol.

I've used Northend Hardwoods in Williston for exotics.

Jared in S. Burlington