Thread: Any update on the 'New' LV Plane?

Any update on the 'New' LV Plane?

Seems like several months ago, there was a 'rumor' that Lee Valley was introducing a new plane soon. Anyone have an update?

I think you are refering to the heavy low angle smoother and Rob Lee on woodnet said that they are being machined right now. IIRC target release date is late May early June.

There are several on the way ... which one?

As mentioned, the heavy smoother is supposed to be end of May. Same with a scrub.
    The other plane I know about (and one I'm waiting for) is a low angle jointer. Last word (yesterday) is late aug or sept.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    There are several on the way ... which one?

As mentioned, the heavy smoother is supposed to be end of May. Same with a scrub.
    The other plane I know about (and one I'm waiting for) is a low angle jointer. Last word (yesterday) is late aug or sept.

Jay
    Hi -

Jay's correct...

But he forgot the router plane in the fall too...

Cheers -

Rob

You know the rule, pictures, even if they're those prototype drawing deals,
    we need pictures, and don't fool us, we woodworkers know everything

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee
    Hi -

Jay's correct...

Cheers -

Rob
    I knew I was forgetting one.
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    I knew I was forgetting one.
    Well .... of the ones you know about, anyway,,,,

Cheers -

Rob

So, what is a "Heavy low angle smoother" in comparison to the current low angle smoother?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    So, what is a "Heavy low angle smoother" in comparison to the current low angle smoother?

Dan
    Just that, a much heavier plane.

IIRC it will share the same blade width as the LA jack and LA jointer planes making the blade much wider than the current LA smoother plane they offer.

I don't know if an exact weight was given, but with smoothers the heavier and wider the better.

Thanks for the update, tease and insider info. Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman

Dan
    It compares to the regular low angle smoother sort of like a #4 1/2 compared to a #4.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Thanks for the clarification.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee
    Hi -

Jay's correct...

Cheers -

Rob
    ROUTER PLANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would it be breaking any kind of rule of confidence within your organization to give a few detalis on the Router Plane. I purchased a Stanley Router Plane from LV when I first started woodworking and have used it for many things that no doubt would be done better by more specialized planes, but I like it very much. SO, are you planning additional cutters than what came with the Stanley, would the additional cutters be they available be comaptible with the older Stanley's, etc, etc, etc?

Interested people want to know.
    Last edited by James Mittlefehldt; 05-01-2005 at 1:07 AM.

why heavy smoother?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Olson
    Just that, a much heavier plane.

IIRC it will share the same blade width as the LA jack and LA jointer planes making the blade much wider than the current LA smoother plane they offer.

I don't know if an exact weight was given, but with smoothers the heavier and wider the better.
    A have a simle question about this -- if heavier and wider is better, then why use either of the lv la smoothers for smoothing, why not use the lv la jack for all smoothing? i ask bc i have a lv la jack and have been using it with ha blade for smoothing with excellent results. i generally joint with a no. 7 first, so the boards are very flat when i start final smoothing with the lv la jack. i'm trying to determine where i would use the lv la heavy smoother and what it might add. any help with this question is much appreciated. thx. tony.

Why a heavier LA smoother plane? You really want to know? Well, this is my take on it ..

When I wrote an article last year about the development of bevel up planes (and the part played by Lee Valley here), my conclusion was that we were witnessing the beginning of a handplane design revolution. There were many advantages in the bevel up design that potentially made for a better smoother than was possible in the bevel down design.

Now we are seeing the next stage in the ongoing developments in bevel up smoother design. The Heavy Smoother is going to be a different beast to the current #4 -size smoother (or remake of the #164). Where the small smoother is a wonderful allrounder (and it is a tremendous performer), as is the LA Jack (which is more along the lines of a panel plane, one that also excells in a wide range of areas, including smoothing and on the shooting board), the Heavy Smoother will not only be sized as a #4-1/2, but it will be a no-compromise smoother. Standard cutting angle will be 50 degrees.

One of the benefits of the bevel up design is in the lowered centre of gravity. Better for handling, better for cutting. We will see this area developed further. It will not be able to used on a shooting board (no flat sides to ride on). Mmmm sounding interesting?

Well, you'll just have to wait and see (unless Rob wants to say more - all I am able to offer are the teasers)!

Regards from Perth

Derek