Thread: Difference in Waterlox products

Difference in Waterlox products

I'm finishing two table tops, I sprayed 1 coat of Watelox original sealer/finish followed by 2 coats of satin finish. I'm going to need a couple more coats to finish the tops, but I'm running low on the satin finish.
    I have quite a bit of the original sealer/finish left, what should I do?

1. Order more satin finish?
    2. Mix the remaining 2 together and spray the last 2 coats?
    3. Spray a couple coats of original sealer/finish and 1 last coat of satin finish?
    4. Backup 10 and punt.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Not knowing if you have enough satin for the last 2 coats... I would say get more satin.
    If you have enough for the last coat or two, then choice #3.

Remember that the sealer/finish (a wipe-on varnish) is nothing more than thinned gloss original.

You do have the proper safety equipment for your lungs, etc. to be spraying; correct?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Not knowing if you have enough satin for the last 2 coats... I would say get more satin.
    If you have enough for the last coat or two, then choice #3.

Remember that the sealer/finish (a wipe-on varnish) is nothing more than thinned gloss original.

You do have the proper safety equipment for your lungs, etc. to be spraying; correct?
    Scott, thanks, I do have enough satin for 2 final coats. Not 100% sure 2 coats will give me the result I need. I'd like the option of being able to spray more coats if needed, thus my question. I think I will spray 2 coats of the original and see where that takes me.

Yes, I do have a ventilated area and a good respirator. Thanks for asking.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Buy more satin as Scott suggests. The Sealer/Finish is highly thinned and will change the sheen of your finish.
    Howie.........

You can add as many coats of the sealer/finish as needed to get the build you want on the project. Then light sand and do the final coat or two with satin.

The sealer/finish will just take more coats because it is so highly thinned. End result is still an excellent phenolic resin/tung oil varnish.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.