Thread: Can't get Bit and Collet out of Router. Need Advice.

Can't get Bit and Collet out of Router. Need Advice.

I have a nice Bosch router from my father's shop. He didn't use it for about 5 years before he passed away. It was left with a pattern-making bit in it and I can't get the bit and collet out of the router.

Would sure appreciate some recommendations. Any particular sprays or soaking? The bit is a nice Freud and I don't want to damage it if possible.
    Thanks much.
    Kev

First that is a self releasing collet I am sure. Loosen the nut and then keep going and it should release the bit, if that is not it then put a few drops of vinegar around the bit shaft with the router setting on its top, let is set for a few hours. You can also use Tri-Flow if you have some.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    First that is a self releasing collet I am sure. Loosen the nut and then keep going and it should release the bit, if that is not it then put a few drops of vinegar around the bit shaft with the router setting on its top, let is set for a few hours. You can also use Tri-Flow if you have some.
    Not all Bosch have self ejecting collets. I have one in my Multi-Router that does not. Can't remember the model, but I know it's out of production. I've had bits stuck before. Loosen the nut and slide it as far away from the collet as possible. Take a scrap of hardwood against the piece of collet sticking out of the shaft. Rap it with a hammer. Don't "wail" on it, but sharp raps. Keep a sharp edge of the hardwood against the collet if you have to hit it a couple times. If that doesn't work, put some penetrating fluid on it and wait over night. Repeat the hits the next day.

The nut is not the problem, that is easily loosened. The problem is the bit and collet are stuck in the shank/shaft. I don't know if it is some pitch or a little corrosion holding it. My dad rarely took this bit out of this router. Thx.
    Kev

When you loosen the collet, there are two break points. The first is loosing the collet, the second is about 2 or 3 turns later when the collet releases the bit. Just be sure it's loosened all the way.

If you're positive it's completely loosened, take a small block of wood, place it on top of the bit and tap gently with a hammer. That might be enough to break a rust bond that might have formed.

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    There is an article in this month's (March 2013) WOOD magazine about loosening stuck router bits.

Blog Entries
    Do you have a doctor friend with some liquid nitrogen? Try making the bit very cold. Maybe you can contract it away from the collet.

I'd put it to work on some scrap for 5-10 minutes to get it hot. Then a couple of drops of liquid wrench ansd try again.

What model is it? As Bill says it most likely is a self releasing collet setup. I know the 1617EVS has it because that's what I have. I have the new Wood magazine and the one technique they mention is applying heat. That should be the last resort and with extreme care. Heat migrates quickly and I would be concerned about causing bearing issues.

The Bosch 1604's didn't have a self releasing collet. My take on this job is to tighten collet hand tight. Take a piece of dense hardwood (maple, beech etc) and make a "U" that will fit between top of collet,and bottom of bit. This could be two pieces of wood, held in place with a clamp on each end. Spray some PB Blaster into collet, and wait about five minutes, then loosen collet nut. As nut proceed up threads, it will also push block up on bottom side of bit. Works like a "pickle fork" for front end parts. You could make "U" a tapered wedge and use a mallet to draw it out. I have a couple of B&D 610's that I just loosen nut, lay nut down against bench and whack nut with a wrench, or small ball peen hammer.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I finally got the bit and collet out late last evening. I soaked the connection first in WD-40. Then tried mineral spirits. Finally tried Goo-Gone. I kept lightly tapping on the edge of the collet with a wood dowel and hammer. It finally came free.

It was really sticky. I don't know which soaking actually freed it up, but at least it worked! Thanks again.
    Kev

Strangely enough, this had never happened to me before until Christmas time when I had an older Craftsman c/w a roundover bit in it for quite some time. I proceeded to remove it as it had the arbor lock feature on it. No amount of reasonable pulling ,short of damaging the components, would release the bit. I was thinking perhaps the shank of the bit might have benn scarred by something sharp. After a few minutes, I took a cloth and wrapped it around the bit so I could turn it. Only a slight nudge and it was free. I used no release lubricant and I must have tried the bit a half dozen times later in the router and no problem getting it out. Strange indeed. Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Godwin View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I finally got the bit and collet out late last evening. I soaked the connection first in WD-40. Then tried mineral spirits. Finally tried Goo-Gone. I kept lightly tapping on the edge of the collet with a wood dowel and hammer. It finally came free.

It was really sticky. I don't know which soaking actually freed it up, but at least it worked! Thanks again.
    Kev
    Now that it's free, check on the inside of the collet and make sure there's no rust or gummy deposits. If there is, clean it out and apply some WD-40 before using it again. I have a Bosch 1617EVS and bits were always getting stuck, though not as bad as yours. Once I cleaned out the inside of the collet thoroughly and lightly sanded it with 600 grit, my life became much easier.

Blog Entries
    You can also tap the side of the bit shaft sideways with a screw driver, working all the way around and the collet will loosen.

Or, get a piece of wood and start routing a groove with the collet only finger tight. In a few inches of routing the bit will come loose.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Now that you have it out, you need to thoroughly clean and polish the inside of the router shaft and the collet inside and out. Get a red scotchbrite and a piece of 3/8” dowel; cut a slot in the end of the dowel and cut a piece of the scotchbrite to fit and then chuck it in a drill. Clean everything to bright and to keep the collet from sticking, apply a coat of paste wax to the outside of the collet only.
    I always remove the bits from my routers after I use them, something I learned from stuck collets.