Thread: Carving tools.....first purchase, some guidance please :)

Carving tools.....first purchase, some guidance please :)

Hi Everyone
    I'm going to take advantage of Woodcrafts sale of Pfeil carving tools. Rather than buying a prearranged set, I wanted to buy individual tools that would be needed for the type of carving I am interested in doing right now. I'll add on later as I need to.

My immediate desire is to ornament my woodworking with decorative carvings on draw fronts, legs, box tops, and door panels. I think I will leave the ball and claw foot for later, but I would like to get myself going on leaves, fruit, flowers, and lettering.

Here is what I was thinking of getting:
    #3 in 6mm & 12mm
    #5 in 6mm & 12mm
    #7 in 6mm & 12mm
    60 Degree V-tool in 10mm
    Veiner in 3mm
    Skew fishtail in 12mm

Thoughts on this combo? I am hoping that these 9 tools would give me enough flexability to get myself started.
    Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciatted.

TIA

George

i am a big fan of their fish tailed gauges. they are very versatile tools.

George,
    depending on what style furniture you're doing, you may want to consider a bent, flat-radius gouge in 6mm for grounding (backgrounds) - unless you'll be doing more formal styles and use a router plane. The bent gouge makes it a lot easier to shave smooth areas or bring the levelk down before the router plane.
    Karl

As I am not a relief carver I can not comment on the selection, but I have been carving in the round for 12 years and I agree with your wisdom on buying individual tools that you need and getting more as needed rather than a set. Also you have chosen to buy good quality of tools. Nice choices all around.

Bob

I think your original selection is ok to get started. I agree with a previous suggestion of getting a front bent (with say a no. 3 sweep) for cleaning up grounds; they are great. My favourite tool of all (which is not on your list) is a 20mm no.3 - get one of those.

Usually skew and straight chisels are included in starters sets too. A couple of good quality cabinet making chisels will do for the straights. As for the skew, leave that out unless you want to do some chip carving.

Frank
    Last edited by Frank Duyker; 01-16-2013 at 9:22 PM.

6. First...good choice on Pfeil. I'm a relief carver for the most part and have some of the very tools you have listed. I would suggest that 1) make sure you buy the full-size tools and not the "intermediate" ones. 2) My impression is that unless you are going to only be doing fairly small carvings, your selection of tools is fairly small in width. If you need to do any sizable amount of wasting away not using a router, you'll be at it all day with 12mm. Consider buying a #3 20mm and #7, 8 or 9 in 20mm as well. 3) As some of the other folks have mentioned, you're probably going to need a spoon gouge or two. The Pfeil #5a/8 is an ok place to start. Definitely buy a skew chisel as you'll need it for getting into tight crevices, etc. And carving chisels (not gouges) are different than your typical bench or cabinet chisels in that they have a double bevel instead of a single bevel. This actually makes a big (and literal) difference in how it works (the physics behind the cutting action) although in a pinch you could use a single bevel if you had to.

The other thing is that you're going to need to spend some $$ on sharpening gear. While Pfeils come sharpened, once you start using them that only lasts so long. I spend a sizable chunk of my carving time simply sharpening and honing my tools as they need to be razor-sharp. I read somewhere that one professional carver, when estimating work for clients figures in 25-30% of his time on sharpening and general tool maintenance. And be prepared to spend a fair amount of time in the beginning learning how to properly sharpen and hone your tools. It's a skill you have no choice but to master. I look at it as part of the overall carving process and not something you have to "put up with".