Thread: Stanley 358 Mitre box and back saw

Stanley 358 Mitre box and back saw

Going to look at a Stanley 358 Mitre box I think? Sell not sure on model but said it was made in 1904 Here are photo's from add.
    What should I look for and test before I buy this Mitre box?
    It comes with a back saw, what saw was original with the mitre box? What TPI, length and brand?
    3n83K73pe5Nc5G35Maccs00f358b116c71492.jpg3K33La3H55L55Nd5R2ccsf0cf5205b2d11de0.jpg
    Thanks, Jacob

Blog Entries
    Not being familiar with the beast, my only suggestion would be to look closely for cracks and broken or missing parts.

You may be able to find an instruction book online that will have a parts list.

The saw shouldn't be the deal maker or breaker, but that one doesn't look right to my eyes.

Maybe the handle is a replacement.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I did some research on the handle after you pointed it out, I think it might be a Atkins brand saw. Did not look like a Disston saw.

The most common area for breaks and cracks on these saws is at the feet. Turn it over and look at the feet and legs for damage. Next, make sure the springs, bearings, rollers, etc. appear to be there and functional. As jim mentioned, if you can find a parts listing this will be helpful. If you need to replace a part you will likely have a heck of a time finding one. Check that the mitre will move to 45 degrees in both directions. Pay attention for any signs that the movement is binding. If so, you need to try to determine if it is from grime or a more serious problem like a bent casting. The saw can be replaced and in the picutre that one looks too short. One last item, try to review the upright posts to make sure they are straight. I've seen several where the back post is bent.

I pick it up today it's a Stanley 244 the saw was a Disston Miter saw 24" (good saw ugly handle) so the right size for the Miter box, seemed to be in real good condition and operates smooth it just needs to be clean up a little, lube and put to work.
    Thanks for everyone help.
    Jacob

miter 244.jpgbig back saw.jpg

I mounted mine to a piece of plywood, so I could clamp it to the bench top.

Is this variant designed to have a sacrificial top installed at the cutting table?
    There appear to be a few points of attachment in the casting to accept screws, up from underneath.

I like the split rail design on the upright guides.