Thread: Need Assistance on Heater Wiring

Need Assistance on Heater Wiring

I've just installed two Comfort Cove Radiant heaters - 240v. They don't seem to be working properly - no heat, though they have the correct power and I believe I've got them wired correctly in parallel. This looks like a pretty simple job, but I've hosed those up before. I've attached a diagram for my wiring job, if someone could please double check, i would be very grateful.

Slide1.jpg

Thanks,

Lou

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's a really confusing diagram. Can you provide some explanation of the color codes and line types as to what each of them mean?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sorry, thought I was making it easier to read.

The yellow line is meant to indicate 12-2 wire going from the subpanel to the thermostat to the junctions box and then to the heaters. There are two blow ups of the connections, one at the junction box and one of the connection at the heater. So essentially it's one 12-2 line to the junction box where the both hot legs are connected to the short run to the heaters. At the heaters connections are made to the hots separately and then both hots are connected across the heating element at the far end of the heater, per the heater instructions.

The blue pieces on the diagram are the big pieces of the system (heater, box, stat,subpanel) everything in the brown areas is intended to be a blow up of the connections.

Your wiring looks ok to me so it might be the thermostat. Check first to make sure you have power to the thermostat then check to make sure it is supplying power to the heaters when you set it to turn on the heat.

The 12-2 supply wire goes through the thermostat??? Didn't know they did that.

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-14-2013 at 1:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    The 12-2 supply wire goes through the thermostat??? I am no electrician, but that just doesn't sound right. Every thermostat I have worked on was low voltage.

Rick Potter
    There's no transformer for a line volt thermostat, so just has the hots routed through. For an in-heater thermostat, the principle is the same. The 12-2 is just two hots and a ground to carry the 240v as there is no need for a neutral return at the appliance to provide 120v.

checked continuity across the heating elements and just rewired all the connections. Must have been a loose connection at one of the spots as both heaters just took off. I think this is going to be great - now i need to kill all the mice that have decided to join me in the warm shop...

Sorry for the trouble, but thanks to all for looking!

Lou

Thanks, Lou,

Never seen it done that way.

RP