Thread: Gizmo/Transformer Owners?

Gizmo/Transformer Owners?

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am finally making the leap to purchase a hollowing set-up. I am 90% decided on the Gizmo from JT Tools but am not sure about the transformer attachment. It initially seemed a little pricey at $200 but if you think about it doing the same thing as a straight tool, small curve and large curve swan-neck tool it starts to sound more reasonable. I will have to buy some kind of bars/cutters as I do not have any hollowing tools yet. I had been planing on some Jordan/Bosch style bars but am now considering the transformer. I would love some input from any of you that own or have used the transformer tool as well as the Gizmo articulated set-up. I'll also take comments on carbide vs HSS cutters for hollowing from those of you who don't have any experience with the Gizmo or transformer (I don't want anyone to feel left out).

Thanks,

Greg

Greg, I have both the Gizmo and transformer attachment. I like the Gizmo, but am undecided on the transformer attachment.

Before I bought the Gizmo I already had some of the John Jordan hollowing tools which I used hand held. When I first got the Gizmo I used it with the transformer and had issues with getting catches and with the adjustable links moving. I think it was due to my ignorance on how to best set up the transformer. But, since I also had the Jordan bars, I installed them, had good luck and have stuck with them. I intend to try the transformer again, probably on a bowl where I can watch what is happening to figure out better how to set it up. It seems like it should work, and should give a very smooth finish if I used correctly. I just haven't figured out how to do it yet, partly because of the crutch I have with the Jordan tools that I'm already familiar with.

A comment on using Jordan tools with the Gizmo: Be careful. Early on I had a catch with the Jordan tool too. I think I was cutting below centerline. Anyway, the catch rotated the bar. The set screws scored the bar. The bar got stuck and would not come out of the Gizmo holder. It took me a while to figure out how to remove it, a long story I'll tell if you are interested. But after removing it, I sanded the burr off of the Jordan tool shaft, cleaned up the inside of the Gizmo holder with emery cloth and bought some set screws with brass tips to prevent the problem from happening again. I've turned maybe a dozen HF's since with no troubles.

I do like the Gizmo. It seemed to me to be between the Monster and the Kobra in terms of ruggedness and cost...based on all the Internet type research I did. I have not had a chance to use the others to do a really valid comparison. The laser attachment works well and I've done some thin walls without breaking thru.

Let me know if I can anwer any other questions.

Hey Greg,

I have the Gizmo (really like it) and never really liked using carbide; I was pretty happy with the Jordan type cutters. I had the opportunity to hang out with Tom Steyer and he demo'd the Transformer for me. It definitely takes some practice and getting used to but it does cut well - it's especially nice on end grain. You can tell it's working because you have to clean the shavings out more often then with HSS tips. The only draw back for me is the bulkiness of the unit. For small hollowforms I still like the HSS tips, but for larger openings, and deep vases I find the Transformer works quite well. A couple other advantages are: with the strength of the square bar you can go quite deep, and just change the angle and you get a really nice finishing cut.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Greg,

I don't have a lot of gouges etc. but I am a boring bar junkie. I have the 5/8" 3/4" and the 1" transformer bars. They are excellent bars when used as intended. Use no more links than you need and you will be fine. The down side is just the physical size of the bars cross section. You are not going to do micro opening hollow vessels with these bars. But you can do medium small openings with them. I also have Trent Bosch bars, kelton bars, and monster bars plus several I have made. What I have found is none of them are perfect. The keltons leave the best finish overall but the shape of the Trent Bosch bars are the best. The carbide Hunter style cutters are great with the Transformer and works very well with my resin wood pieces and I can get an incredible finish with no sharpening. But hunter cutter/tool holder can be used in the Trent Bosch bars as well.

All of them work well and I use all of them. If you want to do very limited access opening pieces the Trent Bosh bars are are the best, next are the Keltons for limited access, and then the Transformers.

I have never had catch problems with any of them but I built a custom hollowing rig on linear rails that is probably the most rigid hollow system out there so there is virtually no flex in the rig, your limitation is the diameter of the bar. The stiffest bars of the bunch seem to be the transformer, but not by much and if you get a lot of links then that advantage has diminished. If there is flex in the arms or the handle/back rest then you have to take a little lighter approach to your hollowing techniques. I have had catches with other captive systems and hand hollowing and it is never fun so just be careful.

Tom is a good guy and will take care of you. He makes good products and stand behinds what he makes. If you are like me you will end up with more bars anyway so having an extra option is not a bad thing.

Alan

Thanks so much for the replies. I have been on the fence to buy some hollowing tools forever but hate to waste money by buying things and then finding out its not what I really wanted/needed. The Gizmo really appeals to me because I feel like I would want to do bigger forms than the Monster would allow. I would really like to own the Kobra, but the price and wait time are too much for me. I have almost ordered bars from Trent Bosch a few times but wanted to decide on the hollowing rig first.

Dave: Thanks for the comments on the set screws, I will look for some brass tipped screws and make sure to stay above center.

John: Thanks for your thoughts on the carbide vs HSS steel cutters, I am still on the fence but it is nice to hear from people that use both. I have always been more of an old-school guy and have not made the leap to carbide for any of my spindle or bowl work yet.

Alan: How hard is for you to sharpen the Bosch and Kelton tools? I know the keltons do not have removable cutters and the Bosch tips have to be heated with a torch to remove. I like the idea of the 5/8" Bosch tools for medium sized forms which Jon Jordan Doesn't offer but I was concerned about no set screw for quick tip removal.

Again, thanks to all of you for the thoughtful responses!

Greg

Greg, I have the Trent Bosch 1/2" set and the cutters are glued in. I sharpen mine with a 600 grit diamond stone, stroking up from the bottom ...going around the edge. That puts a sharp, fresh burr on the cutters and works very well. I hand hollow quite a bit and Trent's bars (and handle) are nice. Not to meantion that he is a great guy as well.

I also own a Carter Hollow Roller and bought the Hunter cutter for it. At first I didn't car for the Hunter bit. I think I was too oused to the HSS cutters and the "feel" of them. But on a recent large vase I used the Carter setup and after some tweaking.... I like the way the Hunter bit cuts.

Just an FYI

Oh, and I have spent some hand on time with the Gizmo and it's a very nice rig. If I would have had the money at the time, I would have likely bought it!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Thanks Scott,

I really appreciate that feedback. Trent's bars really do interest me more than any others that I have seen but the glue-in thing had me a little worried. Sounds like that is not that big of a deal and makes my decision a little easier. I already have one of his 5/8" handles so a set of his bars would make the most sense to me. Plus he sells a carbide cutter for his bars if I wanted to go that route in the future. Do you have all three of his 1/2" tools and do you feel like all three are necessary?

Thanks,

Greg

I do. I bought the 1/2" kit that came with a handle. I use the straight and the slight goose neck bars mostly. The radical curve is a touchy/grabby beast that takes a little bit of a learning curve and a lighter touch. I called Trent before buying these and told him what I would be wanting to hollow (around 8-10" tall pieces with a smaller 3/4" hole) and he thought the 1/2" would work well. I agree after usung them, although at 8" or so it takes some practice on tool presentation.

If I ever buy a Gizmo, Monster or win the lottery and order a Kobra.... I will be fitting Trent's bars into them....likely.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

The plastic that I cut in my forms is very hard on cutters. Diamond honing the edge helps but pretty quickly is just take them to the wheel of my grinder and give a quick touch. When you do that they get a really sharp burr and they cut very quickly. This is for both the Bosch and the Kelton hollowers. They are very easy to sharpen.

Good luck

Alan

Thanks for all of the responses and expert knowledge. I have placed orders for the Gizmo with laser attachment and a set of 5/8" bars from Trent Bosch. Hollow forms, here I come! Once I get the hang of it I will consider moving up to the carbide cutter for Trent's bars or the Transformer Tool from JT Turning Tools.

Greg