Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench grinder - PC vs. new Delta

Bench grinder - PC vs. new Delta

Considering the Porter-cable PCG575 ($120, Lowes) and the newly released Delta 23-199 ($165). They look identical except for the color and logo. Only other difference I can tell is that the warranty on the Delta is 5yr and the PC standard warranty is 3 yr. If I believed the parts are slightly higher quality on the Delta, I might be willing to pay the extra (and for the additional warranty).

Does anyone know other differences between these two variable speed 8" grinders?

Answering my own question, at least in part...the wheel changes on the Delta are tool-less. Not sure how often I'll be changing wheels though.

I have had the delta for about 7 years. I have done a lot of sharpening on it without problems. I've used both high and low settings. I now run two CBN wheels on it. I'm not a big Delta fan anymore but it has worked well. D-Way use one on their demo video. The price difference may be in the quality of the electronics. I've nott used the Porter Cable.
    Last edited by Bob Bergstrom; 01-14-2013 at 5:17 PM.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

if memory serves wasnt porter cable taken over by delta at one point in time or visa versa

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I have had the delta for about 7 years. I have done a lot of sharpening on it without problems. I've used both high and low settings. I now run two CBN wheels on it. I'm not a big Delta fan anymore but it has worked well. D-Way use one on their demo video. The price difference may be in the quality of the electronics. I've nott used the Porter Cable.
    Thanks Bob. I agree - if there's a difference other than warranty and toolless wheel change, it might be in the electronics. The 23-199 is a new version though - I believe the older Delta grinders like yours went down to 1725 rpm. The new one only goes down to 2000, identical to the Porter-Cable.

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    if memory serves wasnt porter cable taken over by delta at one point in time or visa versa
    Yes, exactly, though now Delta is owned by an Asian company. I'm not sure if that includes the Porter-Cable part of the business. That all being said, the two grinders seem identical, which is why I'm trying to ascertain if there's a real difference. 2 more years of warranty on a variable speed device and the toolless wheel change might be enough to sway me.

Alas, Porter-Cable still languishes under the Stanley-Black and Decker yoke. Delta made the break. The label history is convoluted, but we were all consolidated by Pentair as the 'Tool Group', and sold to B&D, and then gobbled up by Stanley. The plant that once made Porter Cable tools now makes DeWalt, B&D, and Porter Cable parts that are trucked to Mexico , where they are all assembled in a big building in Reynossa and...well you get the idea. A lot of the PC tools are sourced to the Western edge of the Pacific Rim. Delta, while produced in the US, is indeed an Asian owned company. Clear as mud????
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    Alas, Porter-Cable still languishes under the Stanley-Black and Decker yoke. Delta made the break. The label history is convoluted, but we were all consolidated by Pentair as the 'Tool Group', and sold to B&D, and then gobbled up by Stanley. The plant that once made Porter Cable tools now makes DeWalt, B&D, and Porter Cable parts that are trucked to Mexico , where they are all assembled in a big building in Reynossa and...well you get the idea. A lot of the PC tools are sourced to the Western edge of the Pacific Rim. Delta, while produced in the US, is indeed an Asian owned company. Clear as mud????
    Great history lesson, thanks Mickey. So it's only Delta that has completely split off from the conglomerate.

That being said, there's still evidence of its former siblings. The two grinders in question seem to share more than just a few parts. I like that Delta is now manufactured in the US but is that really true for all of its products?

If I understand correctly, the new Delta did not get rights to all of the machines the old Delta produced. Some are now being produced with the PC label. Some, like the grinders are being produced with minor changes, by both. For example, the new Delta produces a steel frame bandsaw while PC produces a cast iron model that appears identical to the old Delta.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I own a Delta Model GR450 (8" variable speed). I returned two and am on my third. They all vibrated so much I was burning out light bulbs each time I used it. The safety shields are cheap and do not stay in place. In my opinion the tool less wheel change is not a great feature as it can be difficult to get a wheel off at times. Runout on the shaft is what I determined as the cause of much of the vibration. My hope is to buy a Baldor in the future.

My question would be, who has a new grinder they can recommend? Is it 6 or 8"?
    Who is John Galt?

glen check out the grizzly grinders half the price of baldors but it aint a baldor for sure
    seem like hefty machines. just my .02 cents worth

Glen, were the bearings bad in the grinders you returned, or were the wheels out of balance? Wheels are frequently out of balance, out of round or the plastic bushings are allowing slop. All are correctable. Try running the grinder without wheels to see how smooth it is capable of running. Clamping or bolting it to it's support (bench or stand) will help dampen vibration.
    Paul

Oops, I just re-read your post and see you checked the run-out and determined it was the source of your problem.
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul Saffold; 01-15-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    If I understand correctly, the new Delta did not get rights to all of the machines the old Delta produced. Some are now being produced with the PC label. Some, like the grinders are being produced with minor changes, by both. For example, the new Delta produces a steel frame bandsaw while PC produces a cast iron model that appears identical to the old Delta.
    While I cannot personally vouch for what you said, it does appear that older Delta products are still being serviced by DeWalt/PC/B&D service centers.

A recent Fine Woodworking test report gave the nod to the Porter-Cable machine, with the exception of the funky drill bit sharpening notch on the left tool rest. With the addition of a Wolverine sharpening attachment, you would have a really nice sharpening set-up.

The Woodcraft 8" grinder has served me well for a couple of years, and can sometimes be had for $99, I believe. Unlike most grinders (don't know about the PC and Delta), it comes with white wheels that do a decent job on turning tools. I upgraded to a Norton on one side a year ago and just added a brand new CBN on the other. The CBN is so smooth it is hard to believe.