Thread: Countersink bit

Countersink bit

I'd like to upgrade my cheap Irwin drill and countersink bit to something a little better. They seem to always have a wobble to them. A friend of mine has a nice older set of Woodline carbide countersink drill bits, but they don't seem to be available anymore. What are you guys using?

Piloted counter hss x 4 flutes sinks from WL Fuller.
    See middle right.
    & the Uniflute in the hand made arbor on the left.
    See middle right.

I use these

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,180,42240

A bit pricey, but excellent quality.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

+1 on the Lee Valley bits. Pricey but you get what you pay for.

If you're looking for a separate countersink bit, the 82 degree one they sell is quite good. It's made by Beall Tool.
    Last edited by Victor Robinson; 01-14-2013 at 8:25 PM.

M.A. FORD

I went with a set of American-Made Fuller tapered countersink bits from Woodcraft. They are pretty pricey, but top-grade, American made bits. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...-16-piece.aspx

Fuller Countersink Set Item No 13D09.jpg
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

The LV bits look like there worth a try. I wanted to get some of the brad point bits anyway, so I think I'll place an order.

I'll throw in another vote for the Fuller bits; I've just bought the size I needed for a project when I needed it though, instead of buying a set of them.

I got a set of the lee valley ones for christmas. They work pretty good and seem like good quality. However, I was using them on some hard maple and the flutes just pack hard with dust and burn. This may just be how tapered bits are though.

As for brad point bits, I picked up some Colt ones off amazon that are widely recommended and affordable. No tearout if you enter slowly. I was always curious about the modified lee valley ones, but the price of these made me forget that.

You won't regret either Lee Valley or Fuller. I used cheap hardware store counter sinks for years, and hated them. I got the Lee Valley set out of frustration maybe ten years ago. They were great, I didn't dread countersinking any more. A year ago I moved my shop. In the middle of a project I realized I was missing the box with my specialty drill bits. Couldn't find it anywhere. I had to get some other stuff at Woodcraft, and I got the Fuller set. They have been terrific, maybe a little better even than the Lee Valley set. A couple months later I was rearranging the shop and found the missing box. Now when I reach for a countersink, I usually grab a Fuller, but it could be they are a newer and sharper.

Are the LV ones made in Taiwan?