Thread: New Drift Master Fence and Laguna Ceramic Guides Install

New Drift Master Fence and Laguna Ceramic Guides Install

Just completed the install of a new Drift Master Fence and Ceramic Guides from Laguna on my 24" Centauro bandsaw.

I wanted to post about this for a couple of reasons. First, the install did not go quite as smoothly as I had hoped. The guides did not fit the posts that were on my machine. Second, Laguna sometimes gets criticized for poor customer service and I had a good experience that I wanted to share.

First, the Drift Master fence went on as advertised. It took me longer than it should have because I did not follow the instructions very well (was feeling kinda fuzzy that day) so I wound up having to do more than I should have. It was my fault completely and when I went back and read the instructions again it was one of those "Duh" moments.

The Ceramic guides were different. When I talked with the Laguna rep he said he had the guides to fit my Centauro. When I received them and tried to do the install they did not fit the post on my machine. My post is 3/4" for the upper and 7/16" for the lower. They sent me guides that required 20mm posts for both upper and lower. After several different conversations with Laguna they finally decided they did not have any that fit my machine. This was after talking with three different people at Laguna and their follow-up with two different calls. So, while I was somewhat disappointed I also appreciated the prompt and thorough follow-up. During one of those calls Tim Lory mentioned that unless I modified the brackets or got new posts I could not use them. Since I was going to my shop later anyway I looked around and found a piece of 1" aluminum rod. About 2 hours later I had my new posts. I just used my Jet lathe and high speed steel Bedan and turned the aluminum to size. It works. I also gained about an inch of resaw height.

So, as woodworkers we are used to improvising, and I am the proud owner of a new Driftmaster and Ceramic guides on my 1984 24" Centauro. Thanks for the help and advice Tim.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! Get this: I got a Driftmaster and tall fence for Xmas 2011 and I still haven't gotten around to installing it yet on my MM20!! Looks nice...one of these days!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

When you get ready Chris, I made this quite awhile ago..........

http://myplace.frontier.com/~unix888...originalfence/
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Nice write-up and walk-thru Mike; wish I had read it before I did mine! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    When you get ready Chris, I made this quite awhile ago..........

http://myplace.frontier.com/~unix888...originalfence/
    Mike , ThanX for this ,
    Wow I was just about to start a thread to ask about mounting a Laguna Driftmaster Fence to a MM-16
    I just did a site search & found this thread .

I have a MM-16 on order with it being near Xmas & bad weather back east ( I'm on the "Gold Coast " )

I don't expect delivery till the new year ,
    so I thought it best to wait till I get the MiniMax in the shop & set-up before I even order the DriftMaster

I am Very interested in the Laguna Ceramic Guides IS there a good reason to go with them from the get go than the stock Carter guides that come on a MiniMax-16 ?

this is my 1st Big Boy Band Saw & I haven't used a Band Saw since High School shop class in the 70's
    So if I'm gonna do a learning curve I'd rather start with the best guides out there 1st
    I plan on resawing alot , that is my main draw to getting the MiniMax 16 in the 1st place .
    suggestions & comments more than welcome
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I actually installed mine several months ago. I guess I could post some pics. hahaha!! It went pretty smoothly and wasn't too hard.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I actually installed mine several months ago. I guess I could post some pics. hahaha!! It went pretty smoothly and wasn't too hard.
    Plz do , I just upgraded to MM20 BS instead of the MM16
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<