Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet Drawer Reveals

Cabinet Drawer Reveals

Just trying to find out if I'm being too picky in developing my punch list for our kitchen remodel.

Problem 1:
    Noticed today that the drawer fronts on a base cabinet have a tapering reveal.
    drawer_reveal.jpg
    The reveal varies from about 7/16" to 3/16".

Problem 2.
    The veneer on bottom two drawer fronts doesn't match any other veneer in the kitchen.

Veneer Mismatch.jpg

Verdict: picky or not?

Thanks!

I think the reveals are too far off. It's hard to judge color and grain in photographs ,I have photographed jobs I thought
    were particularly good and then found the pics disappointingly different. If you think the pics in this case are accurate,then
    I would say the job could be better ,but is unlikely to be changed. Depends on what contract specs are.

Not too picky, the boxes are not properly leveled and they are racked. It's likely that if they level this cabinet it will be higher than the rest. This could require a complete reinstall. I would not accept it.

Add "RANT" to your thread titles please.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Add "RANT" to your thread titles please.
    Mike, this doesn't seem like a rant thread to me. Can you add a little explanation about your post?

Cabinet is racked as others have said, and the only way to fix it is to uninstall and perhaps remove cabinet back to "square up" cabinet.
    Cabinetmaker, really lost it when he cut the drawer fronts, all fronts should of been cut from the same sheet. The only drawers that match are the 2 large bottom ones, the rest are are bad.
    I feel sorry for all the problems you are having.
    David Werkheiser

I wouldn't acccept that job.

Also, my preference would be to run the grain horizontal on the drawer fronts...but just my opinion, others may see it diferently.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

The revel isn't great, but it wouldn't bother me too much.
    Its always hard to tell from pictures, but that veneer looks significantly different to me. Seems like it would stand out like a sore thumb if you had a kitchen full of cabinents. Also its something that could be fixed just by replacing the drawer fronts, as opposed to replacing the whole cabinet.

If you are being too picky depends on how much you paid. If they're cheap cabinets from IKEA or something, then yeah you're being to picky. If they were custom cabinets from a top maker I'd request some new drawer fronts that match better.

Blog Entries
    The drawer veneer really bugs me. It should be fixed. If I were doing it, the reveal would be fixed as well.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Shawn,It does not look like top quality.But in the context of the horrible panel matches,etc,that are seen almost everywhere ,I just don't think there is much chance of getting it fixed. Can't hurt to use it in negotiating. Just out of
    curiosity I went in to a showroom of a local cabinet making company . They had extensive mock ups and samples.They
    were so bad that I really think its intentional "customer beware". One drawer front ,no wider than 5 inches was glued
    up with a white sap piece next to a very dark piece. Salesman told me they get few complaints,I had told him I was not a buyer and he agreed some of the stuff looked pretty bad.

The cabinets were custom made by the contractor who presented himself as an expert cabinetmaker. He stated that had taught cabinetmaking to the workers at the top-rated local remodeler. He gave us a spiel about how he would take extra care to assure that veneers were matched.

How is racking measured?

Thanks!

For me it's unacceptable! Reveal is horrible! And personally I don't like the color variation, assuming it's not the picture.

Jack,to check the racking measure corner to corner diagonally . On a cabinet that is "square" the measurements will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Jack,to check the racking measure corner to corner diagonally . On a cabinet that is "square" the measurements will be the same.
    The diagonals are close. It's a bit difficult to measure with a tape because of the counter top, but the measurements are very close. The problem seems to be that the drawer fronts were installed with different distances to the cabinet edge.

One thing that bugs me is that the drawers are actually shallow because the rails are 2-1/4" wide.

The reveals are unacceptable even if this was low end stuff from the Borg discount rack. That's a hack job, it's easier to fix than to talk about, and it should be corrected withou question by the party responsible for installation. Hearing its custom work makes me cringe. I've seen boxes leave the shop square with even teveals, And get racked on instal, but its fixable without touching the cabinets.

On the panel match that would fall under unfortunate for stock cabs, unacceptable IMO for anything being called custom made. It's pretty much the sole reason to buy custom cabs. My cabinets aren't really any better made than some factory stuff, but they are made to measure, so no little boxes screwed together into one choppy long run, and they look better. For the cost of using a single sheet for that run this guy would trade your loyalty? Call my response a rant for sure, I'd throw those drawer fronts in a dumpster and let him try again.