Thread: Mini Coring With a Saw

Cool Mini Coring With a Saw

I had a thought the other day(yeah I get one of those on occasion), "How would a hole saw work to hollow mini birdhouses" and that went to "Hey maybe I could reuse the core". Take a look and tell me what you think. I will probably only work with cross-grain blanks because of having to "break" the core out at its bottom.

Had a fairly large(for a birdhouse) diameter Cedar blank, went to Lowe's and picked up a cheaper 1.25" hole saw and proceeded as shown. The top row of thumbnails is making the core into a bottle stopper. In the second thumbnail I am enlarging the through hole for the size of my bottle stopper mandrel tap.
    In the 2nd row I have turned a piece of Honey locust into a jam chuck and used it to finish turning and finishing the birdhouse. Turned a roof for it out of another piece of Honey locust.
    In the third row I have processed the "jam chuck" into another bottle stopper.
    Image1.jpg

Here are closeups of the finished stoppers and the birdhouse. The cabochons are turned from the 1/2"-3/4" pen blank left over offcuts. My apologies for the close ups of the cabochons being a little out of focus. Not use to doing macro close ups.
    IMG_5805_4_6_Detail.jpgIMG_5805_4_6_Detailb.jpgIMG_5843_2_4_Detail.jpgIMG_5811_0_2_Detail.jpgIMG_5811_0_2_Detailb.jpg

C&C Welcomed.
    Last edited by James Combs; 01-16-2013 at 11:30 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

I really like your stoppers. I am going to have to find my pen blank cutoffs and try your techinique. I have just started making the bottle stoppers and they are a lot of fun.

Ron
    Ronald Fox

Webmaster - Willamette Valley Woodturners (Salem, OR)
    www.willamettevalleywoodturners.com
    Webmaster -Oregon Woodturning Symposium (Salem, OR)
    www.oregonwoodturningsymposium.com

3. You sure don't waste any wood, JD!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Frugal turning indeed! And I love the cabochons, I already save pen blank off cuts but didn't really know what I was going to do with them, now I do! Thanks.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Those are beauties JD.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Fox View Post
    I really like your stoppers. I am going to have to find my pen blank cutoffs and try your techinique. I have just started making the bottle stoppers and they are a lot of fun.
    Ron
    Thanks Ronald, they are a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    You sure don't waste any wood, JD!
    Thanks Roger, its the result of a random thought I had the other day while in Lowe's.

Quote Originally Posted by James Roberts View Post
    Frugal turning indeed! And I love the cabochons, I already save pen blank off cuts but didn't really know what I was going to do with them, now I do! Thanks.
    Thanks James, someone on another forum asked me how I did them. I will put together a series of pics that show my process.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Those are beauties JD.
    Thanks Bernie. Not sure who it was, did some searches but couldn't find them, I saw them a few weeks back and they had cabochons in them and they inspired me to try it.

"The best things in life are not things."