Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowl gouge size

Simply that it gives a longer side edge, more like a 5/8" - disadvantage is that it clogs easier. Its what I started bowl turning with.

My point is that you need two gouges for each activity. 2 bowl gouges and 2 spindle gouges - for efficiency's sake. A turner that I took lessons from uses only one spindle gouge and is constantly reshaping it and he goes through a gouge a year. I think he would get much better use for his money if he kept two gouges.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Of course, all of this depends on the work you desire to do. Each turner will have a different assortment of tools, with various grinds.

I do very few bowls - mostly artsy type stuff. My gouge assortment includes two 1/2" D-Way ground identical so I don't have to go to the wheel as often, a 1/2" Thompson U (which I will use on the transition when needed)the 3/8" Thompson V, and the following Thompson spindle gouges - 3/8", 1/2", 3/8" detail (go to gouge), and two 1/4" detail (one ground with a sharper nose.) I really like a good edge, so I take frequent light sweeps on a CBN 180 wheel. It removes very little metal if done quickly - almost like a hone.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 01-18-2013 at 7:52 AM.

Reed and the others have way more experience than I do.

However, I have a 12" MIDI lathe and have a Thompson 1/2"U and 5/8"V bowl gouge. I primarily make bowls in the 8"-12" range. I don't find either to bog down the lathe. I love them both.

A 5/8" is great for bringing blanks into round quickly. It has a surprising amount of finesse inside bowls as small as 6". The only danger is that it is aggressive.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a bottom feeder. As yr technique develops (and I say that with modesty) there is less of an abrupt transition between wall and floor; they become one.

I find I can use the U or the V on either inside or outside, but marginally, I find the U to excel on the outside, and the V to excel on the inside.

I prefer U flutes -- Vs seem to clog an aggravating amount. I have a gouge or two with sharp Vs that I bought early in my turning -- they haven't been touched for years. For turning bowls, I use a sweepback grind. Depending on the interior profile, I may grind away some of the heel of the bevel to ease following the inside curve. Doesn't have any effect on riding the bevel later, doesn't shorten gouge life, and saves the cost of a second gouge.

If you were going with the Thompson, for the bottom feeder type, I used the U shaped gouge. For size, I don't really know what would fit you best. I guess main consideration would be which type of tool rest are you using. Main reason, on the outside, it is easy to move the tool rest close to the wood as you cut. On the inside, if you use a straight tool rest, you can end up with your gouge extended out a ways. With a curved bowl rest, you can keep it closer to the wood. The bottom feeders are finish cut gouges, and not roughing gouges intended for heavy stock removal. With a 1/2 inch gouge, going out 2 inches isn't much, but with a 3/8 inch gouge, you can feel chatter/flexing. With a 5/8 inch gouge, maybe 3 to 4 inches, depending on how hefty of a handle you have. I do have a couple of 3/8 inch gouges, and almost never use them. No real answer I guess, but I would go with 2 of the 1/2 inch gouges. My first bottom feeder type was from an old 'artisan set', the in house brand from Craft Supplies, and was a 1/2 inch one that I never used after I got some Thompson gouges.

robo hippy

So all turners do things the same way, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    So all turners do things the same way, eh?
    Where is that "like" button?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have problems doing things the same way twice in a row!!!!!

robo hippy

In all seriousness, thanks everyone for all of your advice. There is a lot of great info here, not just for me but for future newbies selecting gouges.

I believe I've settled on a 3/8"V, 1/2"U, and 3/8"spindle. That should do for now. I may add a detail gouge later, but having these three will allow me to get a feel for what I like. I may have to adjust my collection later but that's part of the game. Thanks again for all of the advice - I'm looking forward to slicing some of the time rather scraping all of the time.

Victor,
    Maybe I am not the only one, but I have never been able to see the difference between the 'spindle' gouges, and a 'detail' gouge, unless by spindle gouge it is meaning the 'spindle roughing gouge'. Spindle gouges of the detail type tend to be rather pointy, with shallow flutes, and are great for beads and coves.

robo hippy