Thread: Abrasive Discs

Abrasive Discs

While browsing one of my favorite tool stores the other day I came across the WS3000 which I had recently seen at a woodworking show. I had read some pretty positive things about it here so I decided the $179 price tag wasn't too bad a deal and brought it home. My initial impression after sharpening a few chisels is...wow! Looks like the old Tormek will get a lot less use. I know there's more than a few here who own one and if you don't mind I'd like to ask where do you buy you discs? I'd also like to pick up a couple more glass wheels, seems like having at least four wheels of various grit ready to go would save significant time and material. Any and all comments are welcome.

Blog Entries
    +1 on extra wheels. I will say that more expensive quality abrasives will out last a larger number of inexpensive poor ones. I just watch for sales at Klingspor or from WorkSharp retailers and stock up when I see a good price point. I did waste a fair amount of bargain paper (and my time changing it) at one point but, finally caught on ;-) Some folks make their own wheels out of MDF which I could see working for courser grits. Once you get to 1000+ you can have issues with just the adhesive irregularities let alone MDF surface irregularities (although it is darned flat). I have 4 glass wheels and a leather hone wheel and that seems to get me through.

I added a shop made wide blade table and really find the WS3K a valuable addition to my sharpening items. I especially like it when I am going to do a lot of chisel work. I can just work away and as soon as my chisel feels the least bit sluggish, I step over and give it s 2 second touch on the WorkSharp and go straight back to work. No muss, no fuss. I use a Veritas MK-II jig for the wide blade table I added but, that's only because I had it. Any guide will do including a wedge of wood. Dad has the slow speed wet grinder and a couple bench grinders with various setups (he's a turner) but, uses the WS3K more than any of them. Enjoy the speed and repeatability.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glen, I just bookmarked the Klingspor site and will follow your advice. " Enjoy the speed and repeatability." That says it all right there, I couldn't agree more.

Occasionally Amazon has a sale on various WS items, including the glass discs. I picked up a couple of the discs and a the honing leather disc, along with the wide blade attachment and some other items a few months back during one of their sales.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Thanks Norm, I'll check that out as well.