Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench/Outfeed Table/Assembly Surface more or less finished.... (with pics)

Bench/Outfeed Table/Assembly Surface more or less finished.... (with pics)

I lack a shelf between the lower rails because it's not essential and I haven't decided what to make it out of yet. And I lack a coat of wax on the newly oiled surfaces. I'll be waiting two or three days for the last coat of BLO to sure thoroughly. It was a challenge to build from the large mortise and tenons to the endless boring job of making the dog holes but I'm pleased overall. I got to practice just about every skill I've learned and a few I didn't know yet. I figured it was better to practice on a shop fixture than a piece of furniture. Total cost: 169.95 for the Veritas Twin Screw vise, I already had everything else lying about.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Izat; 05-07-2003 at 12:29 PM.
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Geoffrey Chaucer

Here's the front vise....

It's a columbian I've had for three or four years. It was on my last bench (doesn't seem like it was much of a bench now) ;^)

Jim

Geoffrey Chaucer

Here's the Veritas....

Believe it or not the hardest part of putting this tool together was aligning the holes on the inside of the front and back jaw inside faces for the 3/8" stell pin the holds the work off the screws....

Jim

Yea, I know, the handles aren't marching in step. I couldn't figure out how to line them up.
    Last edited by Jim Izat; 05-06-2003 at 8:23 PM.

Geoffrey Chaucer

The end cap...

Lag screwed on. It had some curl, which only showed up as I was milling an otherwise spalted unremarkable piece of ash.

Thanks for looking....

Jim

Geoffrey Chaucer

Great Bench Jim

Well done ..... would love to have one of those .....

How many hours????

Re: Great Bench Jim

Originally posted by Ken Wright
    Well done ..... would love to have one of those .....

How many hours????
    That's a really good question! There might be between seventy- five and a hundred hours in the project from rough lumber to nearly finished project, broken up over about six weekends and quite a few nights. Most of it's a blur now.

Jim

Geoffrey Chaucer

Beatiful job, Jim! It looks solid enough to take a beating "forever", too. Use it well...and often...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Jim,
    Great looking Bench/Outfeed Table/Assembly Surface Table. I don’t think you will be moving it very often!
    What are the dimensions and how did you end up drilling all those dog holes?

Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest. -- Isaac Asimov
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Awesome job!

Can't wait to build my own...course i need a shop area first.

Damn this rented apartment.

Brian

Originally posted by Bruce Page
    Jim,
    Great looking Bench/Outfeed Table/Assembly Surface Table. I don’t think you will be moving it very often!
    What are the dimensions and how did you end up drilling all those dog holes?

Hey Bruce,

The overall length of the surface is about 73" not including the handles of the end vise and it turned out to be about 38-39" wide.

Drilling the dog holes was an adventure. I used the jig below which is comprised of four layers of 1/2" BC ply nailed together and drilled through. I laid out, in pencil, to lines corresponding with the centers of the outside dog holes on the back jaw, and eleven lines corresponding to the lines of holes along the length of the bench and then aligned and clamped the jig to line up the marks as exactly as I could. I used a 3/4" twist drill to drill the holes. Drill 11 or 12 holes, switch out the battery drill 11 or 12 more. There are three or for holes that had impediments so I'm gonna drill through with a long 3/8's bit I have and install a pusher made from 3/8's dowel to push the dogs out if I need to. I used the same jig perpendicular to the lengthwise lines to drill more closely spaces holes for the face vice. Last thing I did was use my thumb and some 100 grit paper to knock the sharp top edge off each hole.
    When I get my dogs from Lee Valley I'll get to see if it all works. The biggest problem for me was that the bottom of the 3/4's bit I used was nearly flat. This made it very difficult to precisely place the bit to drill the original holes in the vice faces.

Jim
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-07-2003 at 9:41 AM.

Geoffrey Chaucer

Well ... here goes ....

I'll just go ahead and show my ignorance once again ....

I've never seen a REAL bench live and up close .... and have already stated my admiration for your work on this one Jim ...

The two dadoes obviously serve some specialized purpose ... would you share that with me??? I even went back and looked at the pics again .....

Re: Well ... here goes ....

Originally posted by Ken Wright
    The two dadoes obviously serve some specialized purpose ... would you share that with me??? I even went back and looked at the pics again .....
    Jim is using the bench as an outfeed table, too. Those grooves are to accommodate the miter bar when it's used on the table saw for cross cutting. If they were not there, the miter bar would chunk into the side of the bench!

Thanks Jim ....

See ..... I knew I'd be ..... but now I know .... Appreciate the info and help!!!

Thumbs up Work bench

Jim,
    That really looks substantial and beautiful.
    May you have lots of years of good work with it.
    It is really a massively great piece of work.
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Thumbs up

Jim,

That is truley an awesome bench. I really like the size, and way you set it up. Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.