Thread: Banjo Upgrade

Banjo Upgrade

No, Béla Fleck has no worries here...........

I have been debating/perusing the Oneway banjo to upgrade my Jet 1642. I don't do a lot of larger bowls, as they don't sell well, but I do like the ability to do so. I also realize that the curved Robust rests (I do have both) do a lot to negate the need for a larger banjo, dependent upon the form of the piece.

Who has done this and what are your thoughts? Was it worth the not-so-inconsiderable cost?

Thanks.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I own a powermatic 3520 and have turned on the jet 1642. One of the main differences is the banjo. The 3520's banjo is 3 times heavier ane much more sturdy. I'm sure the Oneway should be similar. i don't know the price difference. The clamping disk may be different.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I changed my whole lathe to a Oneway, and thought I should comment on the banjo. I had a General before, and found it ever so cumbersome to adjust the banjo as you required such force to lock it into place. For the first week it was terrible with the Oneway as I was so use to wrenching it tight. The Oneway locks in position so well and moves with such ease, it's one of the pleasures to turning now.

Slightly different thought, but worth every penny in my book.

Matt

I am in the same boat as you Richard. I have a couple of friends who changed to the Oneway and it feels completely different. Moves easily compared to the Jet. Am going to get one soon.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I got a 3520 banjo for my 1642. It is a lot taller. Requires a cut on the top so the rest goes down far enough. The clamp washer also requires cutting so it fits. You can get one for around $389. Don't know what the Oneway costs. All of those mods I did with a 4" grinder. Takes a little bit of time, but I think it's well worth it. It's really heavy, so I use it mostly for larger turnings. I still use the stock Jet rest for the small turning. If you do upgrade, the banjo is tall enough so you wont be able to use the stock rest, unless you want to drill and tap the banjo screw holes. I cut my banjo just above the screw holes. Since you have Robust rests, it's not a problem. When I ordered mine, it came complete, with a new PM rest too.
    It is solid, no more deflecting when turning large items anymore. A can of white Rustoleum matches the Jet white pretty good. No mustard color for me. I would confuse my lathe with my bandsaw if they were the same color.

Do check out the Robust banjos. I love the way the tool rest post is secured by a wedge on either side of the screw, rather than a set screw or two.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Do check out the Robust banjos. I love the way the tool rest post is secured by a wedge on either side of the screw, rather than a set screw or two.

robo hippy
    Reed,

i emailed Brent requesting some info. Thanks.

Kyle, thanks, was wondering about that. I have no problem doing the modifications.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Wood workers Emporium has the 3520a banjo on clearance for $90.00. This might be an economical compromise. It doesn't have the offset tool post like the 3520b but for a fraction of the cost does it matter?

Good luck and let use no how you make out.

Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.