Thread: Need Wide Bet Sanding Done

Need Wide Bet Sanding Done

I need to find someone in the Los Angeles area than can sand a 48" wide table top for me. Any suggestions?

Most commercial cabinet/furniture making shops will have this equipment. They might charge you a little to run your top through their sander.

Not every shop has a sander that wide. The shop I worked at had a 37". I have a 15" at home, open end so I can sand 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    Most commercial cabinet/furniture making shops will have this equipment. They might charge you a little to run your top through their sander.
    I have a 37" sander in my own shop. However, I need to find a shop in the area that has a 50" or wider sander AND takes in outside work.

Mine's also 36" and I really shy away from outside work like this anyway...too great of a liability for not much reward.

You might try Cerritos College. They have a fantastic woodworking program there and I'm almost sure their WB is at least 48". They may shy away from it as well, but you never know. Tony Fortner's 'the guy' there so you'd probably want to try to start with him.

Another possibility may be William Ng in Anaheim. If his is that large, he'd definitely do it for you.

Best of luck to you.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

You need to do a better glue up. More care with your milling and curved cauls with clamping is the key. I can glue up a 4' x 8' panel myself and only need to scrape the glue beads off and sand the mill marks off. A skilled stroke sander operator could do the job as well...