Thread: Cutting aluminum on a table saw.

Cutting aluminum on a table saw.

Thanks to Sawmill Creek, I learned I could cut aluminum on my table saw.

Based on my very limited experience:

Wear protective eye wear. A metal shaving in the eye is not a good thing.

Skip the lubricants. I sprayed a little WD40 on the aluminum plate as recommended by some. The turbulence from the blade blew it away from the blade and I ended up with WD40 all over my table. Virtually none at the point where the blade was cutting. So what is the point?

Use an old blade. I have no idea how much if any harm came to the blade but it's probably a good idea to use an old or don't care blade.

Clamp it well. I didn't have any probalems but took fellow Creekers advise and made sure it was well secured.

Aluminum was 1/4" thick.

Thanks! Sawmill Creek is invaluable!

I have sawn aluminum parts to length with my miter saw. Same advice, use an old blade.

I use a band of thick paste wax as the lubricant. Hate cutting dry and the wax melted as the blade cut through and works great. Sounds like a train wreck doesn't it! I'm not brave enough to cut with a miter saw though. I've tried cutting acrylic on the miter saw and it has caught and blown up each time.

This would have been good to know about 12 hours ago. I burned out my Dremmel, switched to the angle grinder, and then spent another half hour filing and sanding. Next time.

Yeah totally handy to know, but one additional point: Double up on the hearing protection!

A good triple chip blade makes a big difference. I like to use wax on the blade I have cut a lot of aluminum on table saws, miter saws, compound miter saws and radial arm saws.

If you're worried about spoiling your Sunday best it's possible to buy a reasonable non ferrous metal cutting blade for small money too - there's lots about in the tool shops....

Cut lightly, and watch out for damage to the flex hose attached to the dust chute - a heavy cut can build up enough hot chips to do harm it seems...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-20-2013 at 9:47 AM.

Non-ferrous metal cutting blades only cost around $40 the last time I looked. It may have a different grind than normal woodworking blades, but it essentially is just a carbide tooth saw blade. Any old carbide blade would probably work in a pinch.

They do throw hot metal chips all over the place. A full face shield in addition to safety glasses is helpful.

Steve