Thread: Pomona Show ...David Marks Class

Pomona Show ...David Marks Class

I just returned from the Pomona WW Show. It was a great show and the highlight was the David Marks Class on Design! This guy is really talented and a great lecturerer...I was really impressed with his work...he has a wonderful portfolio. He is extremely versitle and is great with exotic finishes...his turnings are terrific as well. He is really well rounded and is very practicle...It was a great learning experience and his great personality and humor really made it all fun!
    My old friend John Scane was there ...he is actuallly young I got to meet Sascha also. He is really a great guy and terrific woodworker. After the lecture we went through the show and a few more old friends poped up...My old Laguna Canyon neighbor Torben (LagunaTools) was there...a great guy and an accomplished woodworker. I ran into Jesse Baragan.(Eagle Tools).we are Alumni.from the same school...he had quite a display including some Large Aggazani's and the full line of General including a large jointer he wanted to make me a deal on....i resisted...it was a beauty...Just a great show.. If you ever have a chance to take a class from David Marks...don't miss it!
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 04-30-2005 at 9:17 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I was there on Friday and picked up the last of David Mark's demonstration. Great guy and really down to earth. I asked him about the rumor that he may not be doing more shows-- He said that he has a contract for 5 years and the have a lot of shows done, but they have not contacted him to do anymore YET! He is a great instructor and will be teaching at William Ng shop later this year. Mr. Ng has a new shop in Placentia, CA (North Orange County) and has scheduled great instructors through out the year, with a variety of projects. The classes are from one day $125 to five days for $675.

I am only providing this for information and am in no way connected with the school.
    Jerry

i also had fun meeting mark and his son. was a fun show, didn't do too much damage, just a hegner 18V scroll saw, should be here in 2 weeks, great deal though.
    it was good seeing david again, all i can say, i was happy when i spent 3 days with him one on one last year and even better seeing him again after i have been able to practise what i learned there.
    since then i have fallen the art of turning and haven't made much square stuff. we'll see where this takes me.

again, nice meeting you in person mark, keep on making dust

sascha

Hey Mark, Ryan and Sascha

Great seeing you all today. I really enjoyed meeting David Marks, he is very knowledgable and like everyone else has said a nice guy. It was also nice to see Dain and Jim from MiniMax, Dain came out to the shop and hung out and looked at some of my paintings. ( the guy has good taste )
    I got out of there only spending about 300 so it wasn't too bad. I bought a few things I've been wanting ( spiral upcut bits, die grinder and an upholstery stapler ) and some stuff that I had run out of in the shop ( sand paper, etc etc. ) Anyway it was nice seeing you guys. I'll post pics of the bed when I take them tomorrow. Hey Mark if you and Ryan are going to be working on anything and need some extra hands ( and I'm not slaving away in my shop ) I'd like to come down and help.

Well, thanks for contributing to a good day.

john, i pulled this off david's site, the info on those ball mills for your die grinder.

Where can I get the Carbide Ball Mill you use?

In response to your question regarding the ball mill, I use a 1" diameter carbide ball mill with a 1/4" shank available through one of these sources:
    Santa Rosa Tool
    Santa Rosa, CA.
    (707) 545-6480.
    Sev-Cal Tool Inc.
    3231 South Halladay
    Santa Ana, CA 92705
    (714) 549-2211
    Fullerton Tool Co.
    121 Perry St.
    Saginaw, Michigan 48602

hope that helps

sascha

I went to the show Friday afternoon, didn't catch David Marks, but would have liked even more to meet some fellow So Cal Sawmill Creek people

John

John,

We should meet up sometime since we are so close I'll be at the shop all day tue if you want to stop by. I'll send you a PM

Thanks for that info on the ball cutter Sascha I'm gonna grap one tomorrow when I'm down in Santa Ana.