Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Cabinet help

Blog Entries

Kitchen Cabinet help

I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen. The issues is I ordered a new range hood which is bigger then the old cabinet mounted hood. Now my corner cabinet door will not open due to hood sticks out further.
    To complicate maters the duck work for the new hood is already installed (new hole cut into side of house and old hole is covered). I also discarded the shipping box the range hood came in. We really like the new hood (fair price, quiet, suck really good, like the looks). The old hood did not work very good and the smoke alarm is on a hair trigger.

New hood sticks out about 4-5 inches tooo far. What are my options?
    One option I'm thinking about is to split the door. Shorten the existing door so it is for just the two upper shelves. Might have to lower the hood about 3/4".
    Make new roll-up type door for the bottom shelf.

What other options are available that I'm not thinking of?

Looking for ideas
    Curt

Kitchen_ 3.jpgAfter.jpg

Remove both cabinets.

Ditch the angled corner cabinet. Use a blind corner cabinet with a left hinged door instead.

Replace the smallish one to the right of the sink with a wider one.

More USEABLE storage space and looks better too.

• You could make a bi-fold door for the corner cabinet
    • You could split the door so the top section opens and install a tambor door on the bottom section
    • You could install a lazy susan and add curved plywood where the door is. When you spin it the curved door disappears as the lazy susan turns.

Whatever you do, I'd take those shelves out of the corner cabinet and put a lazy susan in their place. Stuff will get lost in the back, possibly for years, if you don't.

Make the corner cabinet shorter, say to the lower shelf, and use a right hinged door.

Second option would be an "L" shaped corner cabinet with a lazy susan inside and "L' shaped door that revolves with the lazy susan. This would be my top choice.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-20-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Split the door vertically, making the right door narrower...like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Short of remodeling the cabinets, my first thought was as Julie suggested - the bi-fold door on the corner cab. Your idea for a shorter upper door with a tambour door below is a good one too,but much more rework for not much gain. Another option is to create a pocket door to slide into the hood side of that cabinet. In any event you are rebuilding a door or 2.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I like the idea of removing the angled upper and replace it with a blind upper, IMO that would look the most balanced for the given situation. The ideal situation would be to slide the hood over the width of the small upper, that would look the best also.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

How about a double door? Maybe even put some glass in it to further define it as different than the rest of the kitchen.

Or dress up the interior enough to have open shelves with no door.

Or put the angled cabinet and possibly the cabinet near the window in garage or shop, and replace it with non angled cabinets.

Or simply reverse the hinges and use it for "deep storage" of stuff you only use infrequently.

remove angle cab like sujested . anything else would look like a mistake .

Not sure if this is what the others meant by a double door, but what if you were to join to the door to the corner cabinet to the door next to it with a 180° hinge, and create almost a bi-fold closet door?
    Cabinet.jpg

I really need to download sketchup since I've re-installed windows....

PS: I would probably just remove the corner cabinet as others suggested. But that's my idea if you're set on keeping it and you think you could make it work/look decent.
    Last edited by Jason Hanko; 01-20-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added PS
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I like the idea of removing the angled upper and replace it with a blind upper, IMO that would look the most balanced for the given situation.
    I also think this is the best approach.

Blog Entries

Question What is a blind upper?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I like the idea of removing the angled upper and replace it with a blind upper, IMO that would look the most balanced for the given situation. The ideal situation would be to slide the hood over the width of the small upper, that would look the best also.

What is a blind upper?

A blind upper is a straight (not angled) upper cabinet that has a stile on 1 side that is wide enough to cover the end panel of the opposing upper cabinet. In a nutshell its an L-shaped upper cabinet. Hope that helps.

If you dont mind, how many inches do you have from the range hood to the wall to work with?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Rather than replace the 18" wall and the CWC 2424 diagonal, think about altering the CWC into a inside corner. Remove the face frame, cut the ceiling and floor to a inside corner (should end up with 12" on each leg) make up a new face frame and 2 doors. The doors can be hinged together for a bi-fold or hinged separately.
    David

The best solution from the perspective of good design and long term satisfaction is the 1st one mentioned....remove both cabinets and replace with a blind corner and wider upper cabinet. The other solutions will probably work, but they'll always look like what they are....band-aid fixes to a problem

good luck,
    JeffD