Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell 900 radial arm saw

Rockwell 900 radial arm saw

I have never had any interest in a radial arm saw but this saw just showed up on Craigslist. I already have a really nice 12 inch Milwaukee compound sliding mitre saw and I don't know what I will do with it. It looks like someone restored it from the photo and he is asking 150 for it. It looks like a well respected radial arm saw from the research I have done so far and I am going to look at it tomorrow. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by keith micinski; 01-11-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Looks like a non-craftsman to me.

My prediction for 2013 is that the radial arm saw is coming back into style.

Blog Entries
    Go ​early! Post pictures tomorrow.

Well if you live near the twin Cities, here is an even better deal http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...538150174.html
    I don't think I could get it in my basement.
    Dan

Get it.
    Get it now before someone else does.
    Worry about what your gonna do with it later.
    Any Delta turret model is one of the best out there.
    $150 is the same thing as stealing it.

- Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

If it's a Super 900, it will take 10" blades. Also, the blade guard from a recalled Craftsman will fit with a little hand work.

Crap I think it is actually just a 900. I am going to look at it tomorrow. Not taking a ten inch blade kind of hurts but I am still interested.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Crap I think it is actually just a 900. I am going to look at it tomorrow. Not taking a ten inch blade kind of hurts but I am still interested.
    Unless you really need the cutting height capacity, an 8" T.C.G. blade will do most anything needed in the woodworking/ cabinetmaking world.

- Beachside Hank

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post

One thing to remember is that if this machine does not work out, there will always be another good deal.

Well I got it for 120 bucks. I started it up and it has been sitting in a cold garage for months and it barely wanted to go. I am assuming a new start capacitor will take care of that. THen once it got going it seems like what ever mechanism they use to do the braking on the blade was hanging up because it was squealing and squalling a little but once I kicked it off and on a few times it quit doing it. It also needs some screws for the lifting mechanism but over all it appears to be in unbelievable shape for being 50 years old or more. the biggest problem I see is I need to figure out what I am going to do with the table and the fence I am going to have to do some research and see what guys are using with radial arm saws. Up until a few days ago I had never even considered a Radial arm saw so my knowledge of them is pretty limited right now.

Congratulations on a solid investment, and your are wise to investigate proper restoration and usage of such a fine machine. I would offer that the table of a radial saw is one of the most important components that make up the system, all the accuracy you will ever achieve springs from it, and it's quality of construction is the very first order of business. I recently posted a link to my rebuild of a DeWalt MBF radial saw, I'm including it here in the hopes you will at least scroll down to the presentation of the table construct and setup where you will also find a link to the Mr. Sawdust book, long considered the bible for radial saw operators of any make.

- Beachside Hank

That looks like a nice addition to a shop to me! I just got a RAS, and now that it is here, it is amazing all the ways I've thought of using it. Just leaving it set up with a dado opens up a bunch of possibilities, nevermind all the other opportunities.

I picked one up this summer. 9" 3/4hp. The super 900 had 1 hp.
    I also got the stand with mine.
    You have what is left of the original table. A few more pieces is all it needs to finish it.
    3 pieces at 5.5", 3.5" and 1.75", plus a 1" thick fence.

You might want to pull the carriage, and check the 4 roller bearings. At that age, they might be stiffened up, but can be cleaned.

And yes. It is not a Craftsman.

I restored a DeWalt MBF a couple years ago. Put a Freud 8" blade on it. It's also 3/4 hp.
    You won't get any better 45º cuts than you will with your RAS.

Here is the manual for it.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=4182
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 01-13-2013 at 7:15 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It looks like a great saw. Congratulations.

I took it all apart and got it all cleaned up and lubed up the carriage is really solid and slides pretty well all of the stop pins and adjusters cleaned up nice and work smoothly. THe only problem I am having right now is where the turret comes up out of the mounting block there is just a little bit of slop. You have to wiggle the arm pretty good to get it to move but it definitely had a little bit of play in it. I have messed around with the brass gib screw and the locking bolt on the back of the mount and I cant seem to get all of the movement out. I don't even know if you can get it to move while using the saw under normal operation but it is definitely there. Here is a photo of it setup at my place. I love the 1950's crinkle paint and sure wish there was a way to get more of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images