Thread: Chuck slipping

Chuck slipping

I have two different drills (Makita and Craftsman) that seem to have the same problem. I put a drill bit into the drill and tighten the chuck as much as I can but after drilling a few holes (maybe 5) the chuck loosens so that the bit gets stuck in the work. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any solutions?

What kind of chucks do you have? If they are keyed chucks try tightening the chuck by putting the key in each of the key guide holes and tighten each one. Another point that is important and is more problematic withsmaller diameter bits is that often the bit is not well centered in the chuck. Therfore the chuck does not grip the bit equally with each jaw.

You could always change to hex headed bits as a last resort.

Good luck.

If you have a keyed chuck, you should tighten all 3 keyed holes around the chuck.
    Just before keying the chuck, give the drill bit a 'swirl' around by spinning it with your fingers to make sure the bit is cemntered in the chuck.
    Definition of an expert: Someone more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you don't push the drill bit in too far. It should never bottom out in the chuck. Then lube you chuck so teh fingers can slide and make sure you work the lube into the space between the moving parts.

Look at the shank on your bits. If they are scored from spinning, get new ones. The scoring will only aggravate your problems.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute