Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much $$$ do you spend on tools/woodworking in a year?

How much $$$ do you spend on tools/woodworking in a year?

My name is Rich and I am a toolaholic.

How much money and/or time do you think you spend on tools and woodworking in a year? Can you hazard a guess? We're not your wife; you can be honest. I basically trade for new tools or buy cheap and spend long hours restoring vintage tools. That said, last year with all the expense of an addition, I am easily over $10K in tools and materials.

I don't want to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Talking is the only way you can get yourself help.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Me either, SWMBO, sometimes reads my posts. Plus, I'd rather not even think about anyway. I would probably just depress me.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Me either, SWMBO, sometimes reads my posts. Plus, I'd rather not even think about anyway. I would probably just depress me.
    I just peaked at the American Express bill that had charges for shoes, dresses, purses, etc... I don't have a thing on SHMBO in regards to expensive items. Woodworking and home repair does keep me close to home on hobbies.

About $6000 in 2012

Look at the bright side, us toolaholics have great estate auctions...

I prefer to think of my tool budget amortized over the years I've been enjoying them, in terms that my lovely bride appreciates in case she reads this. Something like 1/4 of her nice new cars payments each year, for a couple decades or so. Good grief I spend a lot on her cars now that I think about it!

It was an expensive year and this one has started on the same path. But we've got a brand new laundry room and kitchen to show for it.

Mine varies, but still a lot less than many of you!! I would think that the most I ever spent in one year was probably about 3K and that was about 6 or 7 years ago. Last 2 years ZERO. Year before that about 14-1500. I'm about maxed out on room, so won't be a bunch of tools in the near future. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Look at the bright side, us toolaholics have great estate auctions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    It was an expensive year and this one has started on the same path. But we've got a brand new laundry room and kitchen to show for it.
    Well at least you 2 have seen the 1st step to recovery, admitting you have a problem.

Me on the other hand I'm still in denial......deep, deep denial.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    I'm supposed to not exceed a shop budget of $3,000 per year, which includes everything shop related.

I've had some years where I've been under budget (working a lot) and other years I exceed the budget.

I went over in 2012, I spent about $5,100, I'll try to be under this year to try to balance it out.

PHM

I really do not buy too much any more. I am almost 67, and started buying tools and related woodworking paraphernalia when I was in my 20's. I took an old patternmaker's advice to start buying tools early and buy the best, and if you can not afford the best right away, save up for it.

Not counting year built my grage shop easly the most ever spent on tools. Guessing around $12000 .But did tell the wife done for while.. woodworking show not till late february...

Same as last year to much…..
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Like Ray Newman, started years ago.... except bought a few imported tools in the 90's which I had to upgrade... most of my expenditures now are on normal replacements such as bandsaw blades, sandpaper, finishing, etc.. Estimate about $20-50 month.. but my shop has been completed for years now..
    Hate to think how much is invested in it...

Still it is a relatively economical activity compared to some other things...