Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How much $$$ do you spend on tools/woodworking in a year?

This seems like it could be a clever trap orchestrated by SWMBO, but I usually try to budget it by paycheck. I say this much per paycheck goes to woodworking. Sometimes I spend more sometimes less. Lately I have been buying less tools and more materials. I was lucky enough to get the last of my big wants lately for tools. I only need a dust collection setup and I will be pretty much done buying big tools for awhile.

I made a deal with my wife, she can have a new car every couple of years and I will keep driving my paid for truck. I rent an industrial building for my shop, rent alone is over 6k a year.

Not as much as I used to. When I got back into this hobby, after an almost thirty year absence, I was spending a lot. I would guess $1500 to $2500 per year for about three years. That included the "big" stuff plus materials to outfit the shop (garage). Now I spend considerably less, mostly supplies and materials. However there is always a new tool out there that I think that I can't do without and upgrades to early purchases that have either worn out or just don't cut the mustard due to quality or capacity.

I have finally leveled off. The big year was last year when I did the Maloof style rocker. Started by buying a floor model Jet spindle sander, then many small files, router bits, pattern makers vise after buying the wood and building a nice heavy bench, then buying a two screw vise. Next up came the wood for the rocker (old growth walnut, then decided I needed a Foredom die grinder with all the bits. I screwed up drilling one of the spindle holes so I added a nice drill press table. I think this one project ended up costing me around $4500, but I get to break it down over the next rocker which I will start next fall (with the QS Sycamore I bought last year as well).

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    After several expensive years I have pretty much everything I need now. The last few years have been relatively cheap for me. This year will blow that in the water, I’ve already spent ~ 9k since the first of the year...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    After several expensive years I have pretty much everything I need now. The last few years have been relatively cheap for me. This year will blow that in the water, I’ve already spent ~ 9k since the first of the year...
    New Shop Bruce?

I'm probably between 1500-2000 per year, but I'm always "flipping" things to pay for my hobby so very little of that amount actually comes from my wages ($500 or less per year). My dad also has a sawmill so all my lumber is "free". Couldn't afford to buy the lumber. Sometimes I think about how much it would cost if I had to put 1 new bit/blade/abrasive on every machine in my shop. That alone would cost thousands. - Ryan

It cost me thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Talking is the only way you can get yourself help.....
    That's funny

I think it's wise to take the 5th on this one..

Actually, since I have a small basement shop that limits what I can buy, and a lot of house maintenance that severely limits how much time I can spend in it anyway, I've spent very little over the last couple years.

However, if I could find a way financially around those 2 constraints, I could see spending $400- $500 a month for exotic wood and accessories. Well, maybe $500/mo after the $50K for a new shop and $25K new tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Talking is the only way you can get yourself help.....
    Help? I hang out here all the time with my fellow addicts and ya think I want HELP?!

I tried once to limit myself to $200 per month. It didn't work and large purchases are too hard to save up for. I am probably closer to $4000 per year, although large purchases should taper off since I am running out of space. I still find myself taking cash to Woodcraft so it won't show up on the credit card bill.

Steve

Blog Entries
    2010 - $1965 (included new 14" bandsaw
    2011 - $1857 (included $613 for mahogany for tables for LOML)
    2012 - $1410
    2013 - $0 so far
    In 2009 I bought a new tablesaw and then started a self-imposed budget of $150/month. Blew it the first 2 years but I've got my major tools now so it's clamps, chisels, blades, bits, etc. now.

I have spent about $20,000 on stationary machines in the last 15 yr, since I started woodworking. The last 12 months have been particularly costly with a sawstop, griz cyclone, and griz helical planer. I have no idea how much I've spent on the little stuff, but I have 2 file folders each about 2" thick with receipts from griz, rockler, lee valley, etc. My wife will never complain because her hobby is horses. I'm a lucky man. Nuff said!

It might be more relevant to speak in terms of spending as a % of income. One guy's $100/mo might make less sense than another's $1000/mo. Dave- trying to justify higher spending.