Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How much $$$ do you spend on tools/woodworking in a year?

One thing that I do is try to buy used so that the tools are more or less money in the bank.

It's a hobby. I don't think about it much. Just like I don't really think about how long it takes me to make something.

I do sell turnings, but even then, I pick a price and stick to it. Anything I make is gravy. Don't have a website. Don't advertise. I don't want to have to make 25 of anything in a week, or even a month.

People have told me I should consider doing this for a living. I'm a PM in real life, so I think about quality vs hours vs dollars every day.

When I'm in my shop, all that goes away, and I like it just fine.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Not enough..

oh, THAT'S easy. about 150/mo. i have a friend who spends at least 400/mo.
    Paul

I don't keep track of my week to week expenses, but spent about 3300 on the Grizzly sale the end of the year. Of course I'm very happy I did, as the tools are great!

Like most people, my expenditures fluctuate wildly from year to year.

Most years I probably spend about $200 per month, then I buy a $10K piece of machinery and my monthly average changes. :-)

Last year I spent $500 building a band mill, added about $1,000 in accessories to my table saw.............This year I probably won't spend anything on machinery..Rod.

depends on what i am building - the expensive years were when the shop was getting equipped - clearvue DC, table saw, planer, jointer, 12"RAS, drum sander, 19" BS, 5hp shaper with power feeder, plus I discovered that festool makes hand tools that are a joy to use (I do this for fun) - 2 years of 15-20k/yr

latest hit is discovering fine hand tools - another couple k to LV/LN then realizing my power tool bench not suited for had work so I am in the process of building a hard maple shaker bench with bencrafted hardware - so far that is about 1.8k

wife knows what I spend on this - I drive a 95 camry with 150k miles as i'd rather have that with a tool budget than a new BMW but no tools

So materials do count?

I guess I don't agree so much with that. "Materials", to me, is money that would be spent on decorating/furniture/etc. I see "money spent on woodworking" as the obvious such as big tools and DC, as well as widgets from Woodcraft or a new Dust Devil or wood for jigs/storage. If I use my shop to make a new garden gate, that lumber is landscaping money, not woodworking. If I ever get around to making my Roubo bench, that wood would be woodworking money.

That said, I spent about $5000 total over two years getting the major players and basics in place (almost EVERYTHING used, from Unisaw to sharpening). Now that I have most tool needs covered, I'd be surprised if I spend $300 a year.

I don't count how much, it's difficult to keep track, but it varies. For example in 2010 and 2011 I think I spent over $5k (each).
    I don't consider wood as it is something goes as furniture back to our house.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Kipker View Post
    Not going to say, my wife might see my post.
    Well not said. The mods probably ought to lock this thread or move it to the private forum before someone gets in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    So materials do count?

I guess I don't agree so much with that. "Materials", to me, is money that would be spent on decorating/furniture/etc. I see "money spent on woodworking" as the obvious such as big tools and DC, as well as widgets from Woodcraft or a new Dust Devil or wood for jigs/storage. If I use my shop to make a new garden gate, that lumber is landscaping money, not woodworking. If I ever get around to making my Roubo bench, that wood would be woodworking money.

That said, I spent about $5000 total over two years getting the major players and basics in place (almost EVERYTHING used, from Unisaw to sharpening). Now that I have most tool needs covered, I'd be surprised if I spend $300 a year.
    I see money spent on tools as only that money one spends that is over and above the cost of the value of whatever one produces. If you need new kitchen cabinets that are estimated to cost $20K and you instead spend $10K on tools and $4K on materials, your cost of tools is $0 plus you can brag how you saved $6K. There's also a value in being able to brag you did it yourself and that value can go very high, depending on how convincing you are. If you're good at math and politics you can find yourself making money hand over fist while spending all you want on tools. This is creativity at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Since apparently many wives read this forum. What do you think your friends spend on woodworking or tools in a year?
    oh, THAT'S easy. about 150/mo, wood in. i have a friend who spends at least 400/mo.
    Paul

I will throw out the percentage game. I'm at well under 1%. Probably haven't ever reached .5% in a year. Most of my items are inexpensive, used, gifts, etc.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

I am not certain of Rod's budget, but I would like to have some of his tools...

If you have trees available, owning a bandmill really cuts back on your material costs. At least that's what I told myself. You also need a skidsteer.