Thread: Lumber Supplier, Roseville CA?

Lumber Supplier, Roseville CA?

I'm relatively new to NorCal and I'm on the lookout for a good, reasonably priced lumber dealer in the area. Anyone who lives up here know of one?

Hey Derek, my name is Richard. I live in the Sacramento area. There are 2 woodworking groups in the area if you are interested. One is SAW, and has been around for about 30 years with about 250 members. And just this past year 6 guys got together and created a fine furniture guild. As far as lumber goes, I know of 2 out in the Rancho Cordova area, Aura and Hughes Hardwoods. Also, if you are looking for rough lumber, natural edge, salvaged or unique lumber, look into Far West Forrest Products in Sheridan. They are a short drive from you, North on 65.

Welcome to the neighborhood, Derek!

Richard has you set. If you want to wander a bit out - there's Global Wood Source in Santa Clara - a bit of a drive, but can be worth it if you want some of the fancy stuff. There's also MacBeath in Berkeley. Several of us guys routinely make road trips out there throughout the year.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Another possibility is Mount Storm Forest Products in Santa Rosa. Good drive but they have nice selection.

Southern Lumber in San Jose. A bit of a drive but if you decide to go to Santa Clara, San Jose is right next door. Reasonably priced? I suppose that depends on the quality of the wood and the service. Southern Lumber is all indoors. Their wood is always neatly stacked. They will cut and mill on site, for a fee of course. Wander the aisles without hassle, but there's always someone around to help. There are times when Lowe's and HD is just fine, when I'm looking for something special, I check out Southern Lumber.

Hi Derek. J.E. Higgins Lumber on north Market in Sacramento they have a large selection. They deal with mostly with pros, but when I go they seem glad to get may small hobby type orders.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    Hi Derek. J.E. Higgins Lumber on north Market in Sacramento they have a large selection. They deal with mostly with pros, but when I go they seem glad to get may small hobby type orders.
    Bill
    These guys are gone now ... they moved to that location JUST as the market tanked and had to close their doors.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    Hey Derek, my name is Richard. I live in the Sacramento area. There are 2 woodworking groups in the area if you are interested. One is SAW, and has been around for about 30 years with about 250 members. And just this past year 6 guys got together and created a fine furniture guild. As far as lumber goes, I know of 2 out in the Rancho Cordova area, Aura and Hughes Hardwoods. Also, if you are looking for rough lumber, natural edge, salvaged or unique lumber, look into Far West Forrest Products in Sheridan. They are a short drive from you, North on 65.
    Thanks all! Hughes and Aura are both about 40 minutes away from me. How are their prices? Do they have a good choice of plywood? Do you know anything about Meeks Lumber in Rocklin?

Derek

Check out Hughes Hardwood in Rancho Cordova. They have a good selection and reasonable prices. It's not too far from Roseville...just don't take Sunrise. There are two sources in Auburn. Auburn Hardwoods and California Hardwoods. They both do flooring but also have a fair bit lumber. Hughes is much better than Aura. They will let you pick your pieces. They also have exotics and lots of sheet goods. I'm building a bookcase out of knotty alder and they had knotty alder plywood as well. Auburn Hardwoods is 10 minutes from Roseville and California is just a bit further. California has a disorganized selection but they do harvest some natives on their own. They have a selection of natural edges slabs as well. I live in Foresthill about 10 minutes from Auburn and find the drive to Hughes worth the time and gas money.

I used to live in the bay area and the places the other posters are OK. Southern is very pricy and I thought Hughes has as good a selection (IMHO).

Hope this helps.

Rich

I have not been to Meeks. But if I recall, they are more geared for construction type materials. I prefer Aura. But that is purely a personal preferance. They both have relatively the same prices. And carry the same items. Both have good selections of plywood. And Aura will also allow you to look through a bundle of wood and pick and choose.