Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who gets your tools when you "move on"?

Who gets your tools when you "move on"?

I have two sons and one daughter. My daughter and I have spent the most time working on things together but never woodworking stuff. My sons could care less about tools of any sort. When it's my turn to "move on" I won't have anyone in the family to pass my tools on to. And that kinda bothers me.

What about the rest of you? Who gets your stuff? And have you also been able to pass on your knowledge and skills?

I'm taking the stuff with me.

Julie, I'm in your boat, I have two teenage daughters who wouldn't have an interest. The power tools I really don't care what happens to, but my squares, hand saws, planes, etc.; the things I value, I do care about. I have a brother in law who does woodworking and while he will likely get the tools, I don't get the sense that he will appreciate them like I do. Oh well, I'll be dead, so I guess it won't matter

No one in my family has any interest in wood working. My wife is an enigma. If she wants a book shelf, cabinet or step stool she just goes out and makes one. She once made a baby cradle that was to die for. She just sees it as something she needs so she makes it. She is not interested in hand tools nor using sny finish other hn Tung Oil.
    So I don't know what to do. If I go first she could sell off all the hand planes, chisles, etc and let the kids deal with the Unisaw, jointer and so on.

I have a younger woodworking friend (a very good woodworker, by the way, and half my age) who I'm leaving my stuff to. If he doesn't want the stuff, at least he'll know the value and be able to sell the tools for what they're worth.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
    I won't have anyone in the family to pass my tools on to. And that kinda bothers me.
    Mom? Is that you? It's your long lost son Dave.

Blog Entries
    No one in my family seems to have an interest in woodworking. Hope that changes at some point. If it doesn't, I guess I would expect my tools to be sold.

PHM

I am sure will be highest bidder, but the wife has mentioned i should make book with what my stuff is worth so she is more informed.......

If i can't take em wit me, i'm not going!

I'm a young guy, but I hope I'll have a son or daughter who will appreciate my tools when I go.
    Duc in altum!

Think I need to make an inventory with current values listed so my wife can make intelligent decisions about disposal. My best woodworking friend is about the same age as me (70) so he'll not need them either. Toughest might be the NW Coast native style carving tools; 5 different adzes, crooked knives and straight knives. These are very specialized tools and probably have a small market.

If I go before my wife I told here to sell them. She'll need the money. Maybe not since I have a good life ins. policy....I'm worth more dead than alive...

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Think I need to make an inventory with current values listed so my wife can make intelligent decisions about disposal. My best woodworking friend is about the same age as me (70) so he'll not need them either. Toughest might be the NW Coast native style carving tools; 5 different adzes, crooked knives and straight knives. These are very specialized tools and probably have a small market.
    To echo the above.. I think we must be related? Uncle??

I asked Loml about this a while back and her response was that she'd just place an ad here along the lines of "full shop of tools, need a man who knows how to use them all".

Whoever show up first w/cash in hand.
    I'm sure my wife will gladly dispose of everything so she can go back to parking her care in the garage.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Interesting question that I've given a little thought to. We have no kids, so what to do? I've been thinking that I'd somehow like to leave it all to a deserving young woodworker that doesn't have the tools to be all that they can be. Be able to give them a solid start as it were. The tools (probably).. (well, likely).. won't be top of the line but for someone who doesn't have very much, I'm sure they would be appreciated. How to do that? Not sure yet. Maybe my local wood working club can help with that? If I leave it all the the club in my will? I haven't done anything besides think about it... Hmm. maybe I should get a move on, huh??