Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who gets your tools when you "move on"?

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    I am sure will be highest bidder, but the wife has mentioned i should make book with what my stuff is worth so she is more informed.......
    I made a list so my wife could sell it all for a fair price. However, she hasn't seen this list yet and if she did, I just might end up dead right then and there!

I'm surprised about how regularly I think about this - every time I buy a new handsaw or chisel or Festool or Woodpecker thingy. Lots of good and valuable tools in my shop. Wonder about being allowed to do a SawMill Creek 38 pages of threads sign up giveaway? No matter how you do it we owe it to those we leave behind to do a documented inventory. I'll get around to it someday...
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I received some tools from my grandfather that were his and his dad's, and maybe even his dad's. Most are marked with his mark. I've pointed these out to my wife, but I supposed I need to make a proper box for them and carve on the box what they are.

I've also received an estate of tools from a good friend from church - his dad retired and moved and could not take everything with him. Loads of stuff there. As I went through the tools, I found some items that were made and marked by one of his long deceased relatives and gave those back to my friend.

I've been told by both my dad and my uncle that I'll be receiving their stuff too.

My son, I suspect, will get all I have. I know he can use it, but I don't think he knows it yet. I may sell off some of it before then, but that won't be for a while.

Wife, Son & Daughter
    Grandkids
    Sister
    Cousins

And anything left my wife has instructions to post on the Creek and ask you for a fair price for Sawmill Creek Classified's.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I'm hoping my son will want them. Or maybe my wife will sell them.

Or maybe I'll just go the Egyptian route.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I've told my wife I want a quiet ,simple funeral. Sell the tools and use the money for the statue.

It depends how long I live. At the current time, not many prospects for them. My wife's nephew wants them, but he's only ten. If I die soon, most likely some of my friends, my dad, perhaps my nephew. It's grim thinking about it.

I remember reading somewhere a guy and his wife moved into a "senior community" and he started a woodworking shop. The facility wouldn't help fund it so he and some of the other handy residents got the idea of charging a nominal fee to fix things for the other residents. After a while word got out and they couldn't keep up with the demand.

All of his woodworking tools stayed in the shop but were available for use by the members. And when he passed on, he would leave the tools with the facility, provided they would agree to keep the shop up and running just as he had set it up.

Whoever gets my stuff, especially the hand tools, I need to know they will not only appreciate them but also use them as they were intended to be used. Unless I sell the house, buy a boat, bring the tools with and then become lost at sea.

Blog Entries
    I, too, have been thinking about who gets what and how to dispose of what is left. Hopefully not for 35 years, by then I'll be a hundred. I have two sons, one of them does spend some time in the shop when he needs to cut some trim, but I don't see him as an interested woodworker yet. The other one almost cut his thumb clean off on the miter saw in my home shop when I was running a business building aluminum ski booms. I guess I will just let them take what they want and sell the rest. Now if one of them wants the house with the shop, they both grew up in this house, it is on the lake, and they both live in the area, I presume they will just keep the shop until they realize they like WW or decide to sell off what they will never use. Kind of sad to think about.

I told my wife I wanted to be cremated. She said she would oblige, and then come back to the shop, sprinkle my ashes on the floor, and let the dust collector vacuum me away. I said "find by me!"

Todd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawser View Post
    I made a list so my wife could sell it all for a fair price. However, she hasn't seen this list yet and if she did, I just might end up dead right then and there!
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhah

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Mom? Is that you? It's your long lost son Dave.
    Awesome . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Ross View Post
    If i can't take em wit me, i'm not going!
    This is the only answer that makes any sense.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    I am sure will be highest bidder, but the wife has mentioned i should make book with what my stuff is worth so she is more informed.......
    Brings to mind that old line - "My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my tools for what I told her I paid for'em"

When I retire all the big stuff will be sold off. I'll just have some basic machines for stuff around the house and my hand tools. I'll likely leave it all to my son, who will hopefully be middle aged at that point and can make good decisions on how to proceed from there

JeffD