Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Is Off

Thanks Steve. Any engraving is offset, but not as much as HOME is off (Home is off 1 inch down and about 1/8 inch in - rastering starts 1/2 down and about 1/16 inch in). Even the Rotary's HOME is off. I REALLY wish that setting a home position from the front panel worked, but it doesn't That's why I can't run the ball bats. When I try to set home from the front panel, it just goes back to it's new default Home. I have tried cleaning everything, unplugging and plugging back in every cable in the machine. Nothing, not even adjusting the X/Y from the front panel has made any difference.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim, that's really strange that Home is down 1, yet rastering starts down 0.5 (which is actually above the Home position). But that's why I was wondering if it had something to do with the encoder strip which tells the head where it should be relative to the table. In any event, I would still order a new encoder strip when you get the MB sent to you and replace that first......it's a lot cheaper than paying for a new MB.

Also, someone else mentioned the magnet on the back that tells the head where home is every time you reset or turn on the machine.....I don't think that would be the problem because if it somehow fell out or moved, I would think that your head would be crashing into the back of the machine......but you should still check to see if you can find it and make sure it's still in there correctly.

Lastly, when "setting the home position from the front panel"........I'm not 100% sure that we're talking about the same thing......I'm not talking about setting the home position like you do for center-center engraving.......I'm talking about punching in the secret code (I can't remember off the top of my head what it is.......but I do know tech support doesn't like giving that info up) to change the X-axis position independently, and then there is a second code for changing the y-axis position. When you do it, let's say the x-axis position is "280"......changing it to something like "380" moves it about 1/64" to the right and changing it to "180" moves it about 1/64" to the left.....they are super small increments, but should be permanent regardless where your home position is. Just make sure you write down the original number where you started from in case you have to move it back. Hopefully, I explained that clearly and I assume this is what you meant when you referred to "adjusting the X/Y from the front panel". Although doing this may fix your problem for the time being....there was something else that caused it to get out of line initially.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Yes, I have tried setting Home as in Center to Center - No effect - still goes back to where it thinks is Home.
    Tried resetting both the X and Y from the front panel too - No effect - still goes back to where it thinks is Home.

Cleaned the X encoder, but where is the Y encoder?

The X motor has a magnet wrapped in wires & zip tied to the motor.
    The Y motor has a magnet wrapped in wires & doesn't appear to have ever been up against the motor. The wires don't even look like they would reach that far.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim have you tried a different page size and engrave at the far right end? Sometimes this has worked for me and generally ment it was an encoder issue.

Epilog if you are listening a great help in diagnosing encoder strip issues if you had an "encoder test" where the reader went the length of the encoder strip
    and read it. Then see how the readings compare to the way the encoder strip is marked. That way we could find out if the issue was an encoder strip
    and where on the strip it lies. This would be a quick test an a short macro for it shouldn't be too difficult to write....
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

New MB has been ordered. Total damage: Board, Core, Taxes, Shipping = $1,464.67 I'll need several big orders to offset that cost. My new employee/boss/wife is busy working on targeting past customers and hitting up new sources.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 01-28-2013 at 5:44 PM.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Ouch! Make sure to ground your self before you take it out of the anti static bag. I'd hate to see it get zapped from static electricity before it goes into the machine.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Thanks, Great suggestion. I'll try to remember that.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

If the rotary is off too then it has nothing to do with encoders or home switch, it is the MOBO most likely the offset that is programmed is somehow corrupted and changed. Maybe reprogramming the firmware might work.

Tried that this past weekend - no luck there either.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

if you want, I'll pop a grounding wrist strap in the mail

Tim, have you watched the Randy Allen procedure on re-setting your home position on an Epilog? I watched it yesterday on U-Tube. It was pretty informative. You might watch it to make sure you did not miss a step.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Thanks, Great suggestion. I'll try to remember that.
    Most people don't know that all electronics work because of the magic smoke inside of them, and if you let it out they won't work anymore
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

Thumbs up Wow!! Super Fast Delivery!!!

Wow!!! Ordered the board around 5:30 pm last night and it was on my door step this morning... Colorado to Ohio in a matter of hours. Hats off to Epilog.

I won't get to swap out the board until this evening, but I can see it's an updated board, a bit different than what I now have.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Sweet! If you get a chance can you post pics of the old board and the new board? My IT side is curious to see the changes.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

Hope you got the right board.... Yes Epilog is fast!!!!! Both my machines are out of warranty, but thanks to
    their contract with UPS, overnight shipping is affordable!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!