Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill press needs...

Then there is the "Easy Riser Kit" pulley & weight mod:

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/easyriser.htm

BTW, for about $40 you can get a laser guide retrofit from Peachtree that gets pretty good reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/DRILL-PRESS-LA...pr_product_top

Thanks Al. I have seen these pictures as well and they are all on floor models. I don't think there is enough room to do this on my bench top???

Sorry, I didn't catch that you had a benchtop. Might still be able to make something similar to the pulley system work.

If the item most important to you is the table raising mechanism and the cost of getting a tool with that feature is too much - you can accomplish the goal of making it easier to raise or lower your table at a very low cost! You will need 1. small single sheave pulley, 2. 2 pcs -1/4-20 screw eye, 3. 10 ft x 3/16 line nylon and 4. old sash weights or barbell weights equal or slightly lighter than the weight of the drill press table (used barbell weights are found quite often at garage sales for cheap).
    Locate a place on the underside of the DP head to drill and tap a 1/4-20 hole to receive one of the screw eyes. Attach the pulley to the screw eye. Locate a place on the side of the drill press table directly under the screw eye in the DP head to drill and tap another 1/4-20 hole to receive the 2nd screw eye. Tie the nylon line to the screw eye on the table, then run the lineup through the pulley attached to the DP head. Attach the weights to the free end of the nylon line such that the weights never touch the floor when the table is in its topmost position. (The length of the nylon line is longer than you will most likely need) As an aside, I would definitely suggest that you keep the DP column rust free and waxed.
    The process is relatively easy to do - easier than explaining with no pictures and it should definitely not break the bank! If you have any problems give me a call at 631-226-8754
    Lots of luck, Peter leyden