Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Bowl Blank

Cherry Bowl Blank

Several weeks ago, I asked for suggestions on what to do with a large cherry bowl blank. All your suggestions were good ones! After spending a couple of weeks in Maine, I was anxious to get it on the lathe.
    I wasn’t sure I could handle mounting or turning a bowl as deep as the blank so decided to take a 3 inch slab off the top. (And I hated to turn so much into just shavings)
    1.jpg

Weighed in at #105 when I screwed on the faceplate.
    2.jpg3.jpg
    By the time I had the outside done it was down to #60.

4.jpg5.jpg

The shine is from lemon juice used to remove iron stains fromthe chuck and my hands.
    6.jpg7.jpg

It ended up at #10 and just fit into a large double layer paper leaf bag. I will dry the slab as is. For what I am not sure. Maybe just to stare at.
    8.jpg

Comments and suggestions always welcome and appreciated!

Like what you have there and it is BIG! What turning rpm?

Baxter, that is a wonderful looking big bowl. The beads are a nice subtle touch, and the thickness looks appropriate to the diameter. One of these days I'll try hanging something off the end of my lathe as well.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

You did that blank proud Baxter. I'll be curious to see how much it moves.

Beautiful shape.

Beautiful shape you went with.

7. Love the curly grain in that cherry.......that is a beauty Baxter!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Gorgeous bowl Baxter! Also, I think I need to steal your outboard stand design.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Bax,
    Did you wet sand that bowl to 220 or so before setting it aside to dry? After it warps it will be a bugger to sand. Do you expect it to shrink almost 1 1/2" across the grain?
    It looks really sweet and mountains of cherry couldn't be more pretty.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    ...........What turning rpm?
    I don't remember exactly what I started and ended with Steve. I am guessing it was between 200 and 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    ........Did you wet sand that bowl to 220 or so before setting it aside to dry? .............Do you expect it to shrink almost 1 1/2" across the grain?
    I did sand it to 220 Faust......after starting with 80. It seemed like 99% of the inside and outside cut cleanly. It was just that other 1% . I figured spending a couple hours sanding now would save me a lot of time down the road. I am sure it will move a lot. Hopefully I left enough of a foot to be able to flatten out when the time comes.

Wow! Great looking bowl Baxter.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

12. Great looking bowl Baxter. When it is dry how will you reverse chuck it to do the bottom? I outboard turned some large bowls out of black walnut (22" to 26") and am not sure that my vacuum chuck is powerful enough (it's a holdfast and draws about 12 to 14 inches of mercury?) to hold it to finish the backside and bottom. I have a 3520b with the bed extension. I have the vaccuum connected to a small pancake compressor. Would it draw more if I connected it to a larger compressor? If you or anyone else has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Great looking bowl. I bet that took a lot of time for you to do. I too like the beads that you have at the rim. It is hard to tell what the final size is, could you give us the dimensions?
    Like Philip, I like your outboard stand. Could we see some pictures that would show us more details?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Wow! That is a serious bowl! You know the saying, "Go big or go home"? You get to stay out awhile longer...

That is a great looking big bowl Baxter. Really nice looking cherry.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.