Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variable speed, cordless, pocket drill

Variable speed, cordless, pocket drill

Looking for a pocket [small size] cordless drill. Have found several but seems that cordless and variable are mutually exclusive for what I have found.
    Brown truck arrived today with what I thought was fabric for her, when in fact it was a supplement to Christmas morning...yeah tool inventory. Box contained a Bosch PS21-2A driver which I have seen to drive 1/4 inch screws straight through a fresh 4x4 post (yeah... really 3-1/2 inch dimensions reduced for bark, kerf, mill tolerance etc). It's a two speed but for driving screws etc would be ok, but not for tightening nuts, or drilling holes by adding a chuck (not suitable to me anyway...I want the control).

So, looking for a compact cordless drill [probably now to supplement the driver above], powerful but continuously variable speed. I have the DeWalt but although I absolutely love this tool and the cordless screwdriver too, they are often too large and cumbersome. The Bosch has the battery in the handle...a plus for small spaces which seem to find me with regularity now.

Is this tool available [or will it be necessary to buy a big tool manufacturing ...in my dreams anyway]?
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 01-23-2013 at 7:27 PM.

Pretty much every major manufacturer makes a small 12v variable speed, li-ion powered drill/driver.

We have half a dozen Milwaukee 2410's in our shop along with several other tools that operate on the same battery (the recipro saw, angle driver and tube cutter are really handy sometimes).

I also have a Makita FD02 that does the same thing but has fewer tools in it's family.

Milwaukee-M12-Cordless-3-8-Drill-Driver-Side-View.jpg
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

PS-31 is the Bosch drill - amazon sells it as a bare tool and you can use the batteries and charger you already have

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Many thanks guys. After reading your reponses I looked at the info on these tools. First said two speed, same as I had seen elsewhere and rejected, but since you had recommended, looked further into it. They are variable speed, and I was in error in not studying more, so thanks for the heads up. And they both are the compact size I need, with the battery inside the handle (not on the end), and perfect for the ultra-tight spaces sometimes encountered. Found that Lowes has the kit on sale which have the impact driver and drill combo on sale. Heard that Milwaukee is really well-built but Bosch is German (still?), and get both Bosch tools for $30 more than the one....tough decision. But anyway, thanks again for info...will be one of the above I'm sure. [checked...Bosch built in China...why am I not surprised! Now to check on Milwaukee....China too.] Beginning to see a trend....
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 01-25-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    Note that there is a Bosch impact driver in a similar form factor (PS41). This would be preferred as a screw driver in tight quarters. There is also a right angle driver (PS10) that works pretty well.

Blog Entries
    I have or have had Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, etc. but, I have grown very attached to the predecessors of this . . . currently availble in my store as a drill with 2 batts, charger and case for $99. So much so that I bought the current version and now have a total of 3 well balanced, small form factor, 3/8" chuck, variable speed, 30 minute charge, "12v" lithium, clutched drivers. Ridgid's aren't for everybody but, I have been running the original pair since 2007 without a single hiccup. Two batteries replaced for free so far under the LSA.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bosch sells a matching impact driver that works very well for driving screws. i have driven 31/2" screws with no problem.

I have the small Makita 18v LiOin drill/driver (white, not blue). It uses a smaller battery, or the full size 18v battery. Plenty of power, yet small

My favorite.

The Rigid looks promising, had I not already bought the Bosch PS31 and PS41 combo on sale for $179 at the big box store known for home remodeling etc. (the other is contractor support). The PS41 does not have a clutch but since it is variable speed, not sure that will be a problem. Perhaps I should also keep the PS21 DW just bought for me; she realized my distress while trying with my left hand to drive screws in the front right inside corner of a kitchen cabinet a foot from the doorway, seeing with only one eye and a flashlight, while standing on a small stool. Needed a small below cabinet shelf to support the HD cable box for the under cabinet wall mounted kitchen tv...now all the counters are finally clear. One more project...more more new tool .

I have several. I mostly use the Milwaukee due to the clutch. I use the Bosch ones for heavier duty stuff (I have their 36V hammer drill also - quite a beast).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Dremel makes a true pocket drill/driver. It's very small and powerful for its size. It's a true variable speed drill with a Lithium Ion battery.

I use one to install door signs because it fits in my carpenters apron, its very light and the battery will last even through a ten hour day. Age has caught up with me so my hands ache at the end of the day, a very small and very light drill is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-28-2013 at 6:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Dremel makes a true pocket drill/driver.
    Keith, I looked at the main Dremel website and I couldn't find much of anything that resembled a drill/driver. Could you provide a link? Thanks.

Yes, please...an even smaller driver would be nice. I was in that store yesterday, and noticed the Dremel display but then walked right by and didn't even look. I must be getting senile (or old). I was looking for the PS21 Bosch...might need the clutch....that PS41 is a bear.

Jack,

Here is the link to the Dremel drill at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_274457-353-1...cetInfo=Dremel

Mine must be 2 years old now but I used it today installing electrical boxes and outlets on a job in my shop. Can't remember the last time I put it on the charger, probably over a month. It ran good today though, I had it in my back pocket working on a ladder all day long. I got mine as a gift, it was on sale for $29.00 but the regular price is $49.00
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-29-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks Keith.

Not sure why I couldn't find it on the Dremel website.