Thread: MDF for a Zero Clearance Insert?

MDF for a Zero Clearance Insert?

Yeah I can go buy those spiffy ZCL's for $30 a pop. When you need several it is a bit rich. I'm using plywood now, but they warp. Anyone use MDF for a ZCI? Thinking that the MDF would not warp nearly as much as the plywood.

TIA

I make mine from 1/2" MDF and have never had a warping problem - or any other problem for that matter.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I made a couple out of MDF and they've held up perfectly for several years. I carpet-tape the original to a rough-sized blank & run it past a trim bit on the router table. Then I drill 4 leveling screw holes, tap them 1/4-20, dribble some super glue in the holes and run the tap through again, then install 1/2" long setscrews. The MDF sucks up the super glue like a sponge and once hardened it makes the threads tougher. Last tip is I glue in a short 1/4" dowel in the back of the insert so it won't lift out without me pushing down on the back to raise the front (this is for a Unisaw).
    Sorry for the wordy reply but I don't have a picture of my lowly inserts

I use corian counter top material, you can get scrap pieces from installers, it machines with regular tools, is very stable, never warps and can be threaded for set screws.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein

You can get 84 from a 4 X 8 sheet of MDF. For most, that's a lifetime supply.

Jim

MDF works fine. I have the spiffy phenolics, but if I want to do some odd sized dado's, or angles, with a ZCI, I'll make it out of whatever I have that can be made to fit.
    Spend the time to make a really accurate template. it's worth it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks for the replies. Some good info. I like the super glue in the threads ides.