Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer N3800 vs. Laguna 14 SUV

Hammer N3800 vs. Laguna 14 SUV

I know there are plenty of threads on the bandsaw topic BUT...

There's what appears to be a new saw from Hammer, the N3800. I live in Australia and the new model is not here yet. I'm in the market for the smallest foot-print, largest resaw and most-capable bandsaw I can find. It appears that the Laguna and the Hammer may be the only options available here that meet my requirements.

Has anyone seen the new Hammer N3800? If yes, what do you think about it? Besides size and HP, what are the differences from the N4400? I'm not talking specs as much as look and feel type things.

If you have seen it and have seen the Laguna 14 SUV, which one do you think is better?

Regards,
    David

How big of a deal is the resaw ability? Both will be capable machines but neither are built for resawing. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    How big of a deal is the resaw ability? Both will be capable machines but neither are built for resawing. Dave
    What about them tells you they're not built for resaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    What about them tells you they're not built for resaw?
    I should specify occasional resawing vs primarily used for resawing. Below 20" the only primary resaw machines I know of are the MM 16 and second the Laguna 16HD. The MM weighs about 530 lbs and the Laguna 430. The 3800 and 14 SUV are 330 or so lb saws with heavy cast iron wheels so that doesn't leave a lot for frame strength. The small saws with bimetal blades will resaw adequately but are no comparison to the saws capable of tensioning a carbide blade to 25000 lbs for weekly or daily resawing. Not that resawing can't be done just as sawing 3" hardwood on a contractor saw can be done but don't set your sights on a machine built for that purpose. The 3800 has a 2hp motor and the Laguna has a 3 hp which is better. Two is too light for more than occasional resawing. If you don't saw wider than 8" or so you simplify your life a lot and these machines become much better. If you expect 10-12" you will need it dialed in with a good blade and not use it every week. Dave

Check this thread : http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Pro-s-and-Cons .

Hammer N3800 has max blade width of 20mm.

Blog Entries
    If I were going to buy an Asian saw @ a $2k price point I'd be looking at Grizzly (514X2B, etc.). If you want a saw for resawing I would look at MiniMax (SCMI) or Laguna's LT16HD or higher + a good resaw blade. I would have no problems buying either of these tools used... they are very robust. I don't understand the "small footprint" request... there is not a huge difference between saw sizes (i.e. is an extra 6" going to be a deal breaker?). What is your maximum size and price?

This thread reminded me. Has anyone heard from Van Huskey lately?

Also, I've been happy with my 14SUV. My only issues are with the Driftmaster and the wierd / uneven way it mounts and the difficulty at changing blades because of it. Also, getting at the lower guides is a PIA.

Otherwise, the saw has been quite nice.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I know you mentioned small footprint, but the N4400 is the same price as a N3800. At the price point of the N4400 that is a really nice saw. I suspect that price will increase soon with the release of the N3800. I have seen the N4400 in person, very well made saw. I expect every option of the 4400 in the 3800 just a little smaller package. If you can swing the size of an N4400 I would take advantage of the pricing.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I agree with Jeff, the N4400 is on sale in the USA for the same price as the N3800, however it's 3 Kw as opposed to 1.5Kw, larger wheels, larger blade width, larger table.

Why not buy the N4400 instead?

Regards, Rod.

Thanks for the comments so far.

To answer some of the questions / suggestions: The small foot-print 'desire' is due to my shop being 12x15 feet. In that space, I currently have a 10" table saw with a 3.5x3.5 foot outfeed cabinet, floor standing drill press and a combination 10" planer-thicknesser. I am a hobbyest and will not be resawing wide boards a lot, but I figured that if a get a band saw, I'd like to be able to resaw quite a bit more than I can do with my table saw, with two passes I can do about 5.5 inches. Given my 10" jointer-thicknesser, I figured that would be a good target for minimum resaw height.

I live in Australia and the current sale on the N4400 is not available here. The N4400 costs about $2,500 here. It is also recommended that one connects it to a 20 amp power circuit. I only have a 15 amp circuit, so that would add few hundred dollars more to the cost. I expect I could rationalise spending a bit over $2,000 for a new saw, but approaching $3,000 for the N4400 and electrical work is too much.

The Grizzly brand of tools is not available here.

Alan Lightstone, have you resawn wide hardwood boards on your saw? By wide, I'm thinking 10 inches or more. If yes, what do you think about the 14SUV for occasionsal resawing when resawing wide hardwood boards?

Regards, David

Given your constraints I think you've hit on the best bet. If you were here in the US an old Walker Turner 16 with an upgraded motor would be pretty sweet too. Dave

I was on the verge of purchasing the Hammer but found a good deal on a lightly used Laguna 14 SUV. I have the Hammer sliding tablesaw and am very impressed with it and I have an idea the bandsaws are also well made. I am not that impressed with the Laguna. It does the job though, so I can't complain, but I find that I have to spend a lot of time adjusting things when I change blades. It certainly is not much more of a machine than the jet/ grizzley/ and other asian saws. I would like to get a close up view of the Hammer, but my guess is, if it is anything like the sliding tablesaw it will be a nice precision machine.

I have had the Laguna 14 SUV for about two years and could not be happier with it. I got it with the Driftmaster fence and a Laguna 1" Resaw King blade. I regularly use it to resaw and it consitanctly cuts veneers with less than .003" variance in thickness from corner to corner that are as smooth as my tablesaw. Laguna Customer service has also been fantastic. One problem you may have is that a 3Hp motor will require a 20A circuit. It is also what Laguna recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by David Benoit View Post
    Thanks for the comments so far.

....snip....

Alan Lightstone, have you resawn wide hardwood boards on your saw? By wide, I'm thinking 10 inches or more. If yes, what do you think about the 14SUV for occasionsal resawing when resawing wide hardwood boards?

Regards, David
    Yes, David I have. After building John Lanciani's awesome resawing fence/jig, the 14SUV has been fine for occasional resawing.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...54#post1838654

I've used it multiple times now to make some nice furniture with shop sawn veneer.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thanks Alan. One more question, I cannot find the true 'shop dimensions' of the 14SUV. The Laguna site provides shipping size and "footprint". Looking at the photos, their footprint dimension looks me like the size of the base and does not include the items that may stick out past the base. Would you please let me know the actual maximum length and width of the machine.