Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Days I Feel Older Than Others

DOS lives! http://www.freedos.org/

You can still buy DR Dos http://drdos.com/products/dr-dos/ $35/seat hahaha no thanks.

And for the unix nerd (raises hand) who needs dos (puts hand down): http://www.dosemu.org/

It may not be DOS, but that is what she said. She said everything is a function key stroke and she can't use her mouse for anything. She was told the reason they have this system is that is completely safe from viruses, etc. She can, however, take a photo of her receipt from a business lunch, send the photo to the home office and it goes into their accounting program (somehow, don't ask me), so they aren't living in the dark ages. It's a 400 million dollar a year company.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

It's probably a mid range, like an IBM iSeries. Without a GUI interface, very little mouse or graphic function. (It's where I live, work and play) There are a whole bunch of us out here.
    People raised on PC's are often lost on this type of system. Ask her if it's "green screen" (green letters on a black background)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    Ask her if it's "green screen" (green letters on a black background)
    I always liked the green screens better than the amber screens anyway, the amber had lower contrast for me

I've been using white (#F6F4F4) on dark blue (#0C108C) for a long time, I even had all of my DOS setups configured like that.

I would be moderately surprised (but not astounded) if they still had dumb terminals and weren't using an emulation software. Most of the folks I knew using dumb terminals had ditched them by the mid 90s because they were getting specialized enough to start costing more than the alternative hw+emulation software.

Blog Entries
    I always thought amber was cool, but it was so short lived when they came out with color. But do you remember dedicated word processors that still typed out using plastic ribbons? Lanier if I remember. Our company was one of the first to use an IBM 1130 with single platters and punch cards and using a flat bed plotter to do civil engineering drawings for water and sewer systems. Had to write all of our own code.

They may be using Freedos as a terminal, or they may be aliasing dos commands to nix (Aix/Unix/Linux, or posix compliant), OSes. I've known a few people who did alias dos commands, as they grew up with it as the basis of (pre)Windows.

Sounds like UNIX to me. Lucky person!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post
    I remember writing on papyrus with peacock quills.
    HAH!! Ya whipper snapper... I 'member rit'n on ROCKS and ya had to use yor finger!! and walking up hill in the snow both ways when you wanted to to do a little dinosaur hunt"n!!!
    (what? yes nurse I'll take my meds now.........)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    , or they may be aliasing dos commands to nix (Aix/Unix/Linux, or posix compliant), OSes. I've known a few people who did alias dos commands, as they grew up with it as the basis of (pre)Windows.
    I used to know some folks who did that. It simply killed me to watch them do anything. One had even set it up with a shell function so if he did "cd c:\" it would take him to his home dir. Sooo much effort to avoid learning something a little bit different.

At least two of the local paint stores I visit (both of them are, or are owned by, large, global corporations) use ASCII interfaces on their POS and inventory control software. The experienced associates are generally pretty quick at using it because they have it memorized (along with product codes), and they don't have to switch between using a mouse and the keyboard. They'll even have new LCD screens hooked up to doorstops of computers to use as terminals.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Belinda, trust me, you are younger than many of the members here. Think moderators. Come here and feel young.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Belinda, trust me, you are younger than many of the members here. Think moderators. Come here and feel young.
    It is possible Rich, that I am feeling this way as I am about to celebrate the 25th anniversary of my 25th birthday. Birthdays have never bothered me before but I can't quite get a grip on this one.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

So THAT'S why you use that college photo!

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    It is possible Rich, that I am feeling this way as I am about to celebrate the 25th anniversary of my 25th birthday. Birthdays have never bothered me before but I can't quite get a grip on this one.
    Belinda, I have the identical anniversary in September and come here to feel young and get the wisdom of the ages, or is that the aged? Happy birthday. You look quite young in your picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    So THAT'S why you use that college photo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Belinda, I have the identical anniversary in September and come here to feel young and get the wisdom of the ages, or is that the aged? Happy birthday. You look quite young in your picture.
    Thanks! That photo is actually pretty recent, it was taken last March.

Bella Terra