Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diet Coke Vs Coke Zero

Ingredients list from the Coca-Cola UK website:

Diet Coke: Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

Coke Zero: Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), acidity regulator (E331). Contains a source of phenylalanine.

The ingredients list is nearly identical between the two. They both have aspartame. If you don't like aspartame you shouldn't drink either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Ingredients list from the Coca-Cola UK website:

Diet Coke: Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

Coke Zero: Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), acidity regulator (E331). Contains a source of phenylalanine.

The ingredients list is nearly identical between the two. They both have aspartame. If you don't like aspartame you shouldn't drink either one.
    So it looks like Coke Zero has a bit more phosphoric acid than Diet Coke...whick would make it a better rust remover.

Haven't drank coke since they stopped putting cocaine in it. That is where the name came from: coca (coca leaves extract).

I just hope you folks aren't kidding yourselves that drinking diet soda is somehow healthier for you than regular soda. The reality is that both are very bad for you, particularly if you drink them as a habit. For one, carbonated drinks stretch one's stomach, which causes one to eat much more later. As a treat once in a while, I say go ahead (all things in moderation!).

Of course, barley soda is much better for you.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

The difference is that zero is marketed for men and diet is for women. they're both worse for you than regular coke. I indulge in the mexican coke (sugar, glass bottle) with my tacos.

Oh look.....

Cool refreshing water!

Yum yum.

Until my stomach developed caramel diet soda rot, I drank nothing but Diet Pepsi. Now
    I just drink Pepto-Bismol..........

Never had it, never will!

Zero tastes nothing like original. I like zero better.

Zero is marketed to men. It is not stated as a "diet" soda.

High Fructose Corrn syrup, we don't need no stinking high fructose corn syrup.

Ah, Mexican Coke! It tastes like, ... Coke.

Jason,

It has been a long while but as I recall you had to chew your barley soda. So it also provided fiber! all around healthier and tastier beverage!
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley View Post
    Jason,

It has been a long while but as I recall you had to chew your barley soda. So it also provided fiber! all around healthier and tastier beverage!
    I have recently renewed my commitment to making chewable barley soda! In fact, I just installed a 2-tap system for Cornelius kegs in my second fridge last month. I had the first keg filled at a local brewery, but I'll be putting a home-brewed batch of smoked porter into the second keg probably this weekend. I don't like sugary drinks--unless yeast have gotten to them first!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I like my soda fermented in large vats minus the high fructose corn syrup, carmel coloring, and caffeine, but add barley, hops, and yeast. If I can't have that I just enjoy a nice tall cold glass of water.

Diet Mt. Dew for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    High Fructose Corrn syrup, we don't need no stinking high fructose corn syrup.

Ah, Mexican Coke! It tastes like, ... Coke.
    I think there's lots of speculation and little fact when it comes to non-natural food additives. I did hear/read that high fructose corn syrup is metabolized differently than cane & beet sugar or other natually occuring fruit sugars and that the difference is not beneficial. I spoke with our family doc one day - she pays more attention to diet and life style related stuff than some - and she felt that Splenda is probably the best choice as a no calorie sweetener right now. SWMBO uses Stevia, I find it okay but prefer Splenda. Dilute battery acid tastes the same as diet Coke to me and it's cheaper. Pepsie One for me, anything with Aspertame can stay on the shelf.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-25-2013 at 9:37 AM.