Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Dust Deputy

Super Dust Deputy

Anybody use a Super Dust Deputy? I searched, but only found threads that were several years old, when they first came out.

I have a one HP Jet blower (like the wall mounted one Rockler sells). I would like to mount it directly on top of the SDD, and vent it outside. Wondering if anyone has used a 1HP blower on one of these. This would be semi-portable.

Thanks,
    Rick Potter

I'm gonna watch this one. I was just looking at those today too (great minds think alike). I have the plastic one for the shop-vac and it works great. If this does the same, I'm a buyer. I just picked up a Jet 1 1/2 hp on CL and want to make sure I have good separartion before I buy a filter for it.

There are several threads/reviews of this product on the Lumberjocks website.

I've had one for over a year. I've got a 50-850 delta, 1.5 HP, that has a 6" outlet i hook into the top of the super dust deputy. And i put a wynn filter on the dust collector, with bags on the bottom. Then i've got 5" duct around my shop (1 car garage) for permanently positioned tools. The super dust deputy has worked excellent, and still plenty of vacuum to collect from all my machines. I've had maybe 1" of dust accumulate in the bag of the dust collector, and i barely notice any dust settling on my tools over time. I was a little skeptical before i bought it that it would work so well, but it has far exceeded my expectations. It does add some static pressure loss, but if you're thinking of making it portable, or short runs of duct to each machine, it should work well.

I got mine when it first came out and it came with a 35 gal steel barrel. Its hooked to a 1 1/2 hp delta 50-760. It works well, in that it keeps chips from clogging my wynn filter. Having the barrel makes it easy to empty versus the bags. You do lose some suction, but the performance is constant, ie no loss of performance as your filter gets clogged.

Rick -

I found a few posters at lumberjocks, but not much. Everyone seems to be happy with theirs. Alot of folks suggest a Thien separator, but that's a whole nother ball game. Also, looking at Woodcraft, their shipping is cheaper than Oneida, although they don't give you the option of having a reducer crimped. I've got my Wynn ordered so next pay day, I'm ordering the SDD. First one to get theirs installed has to post back

I have one that is hooked up to a HF dust collector. I am happy with it. It is mounted on a fiber drum so it can hold a bunch of material. I opted for the crimped connections from Oneida and they are well built. Saved me having to hassle with it. I would do it again. My next step will be either a second HF collector hooked to it or just bite the bullet and purchase a bigger Grizzly. If you can ship to a commercial address that will save you on the shipping. You could also call and ask to see if they have any discounts. Never know unless you ask and you might get lucky.

Mark

Thanks guys,

All I need to do now is make up my mind if this would work for me.

Rick Potter

The smaller Dust Deputy works better. The Super Dust Deputy has the inlet spot welded in one or two places and then the void is filled with caulk. Same with all the metal to metal joints. I returned the one I tried.

The smaller Dust Deputy has a 2.5" port and is made for shop vacs and the like. The Super Dust Deputy has 5" & 6" ports and is made for full-on dust collectors.

I have the steel version of the regular Dust Deputy and it works great attached to my shop vac. I have a trash can separator (not Thien baffle) on my 1.5 HP Delta DC and it works okay but not great. I've resorted to using the baffle only when jointing or planing; TS, BS, and Router table work goes directly into the DC.

I've been thinking about getting the Super Dust Deputy rather than building a Thien baffle.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

This SDD really has me intrigued. I'm using a Jet 1100 RC (I think, anyway). It has the canister filter and a remote. It's barely adequate for my big Minimax combo, so I'm a little concerned about any loss in ability due to the SDD. However, the Jet has a 6" port with a double 4" wye on it and I'm using 4" hose. Do you think I'll make up for any loss due to the addition of the SDD by using 6" hose from the Jet to the SDD and 5" to the machines? I'm not necessarily asking for engineering studies here, just a confirmation that changing to bigger hose is or isn't likely to offset any SDD loss.

I also see that Oneida offers a 17 gallon drum for $89. Seems kind of small to me, and I'd prefer something I can see through so I know when it's filling up. Does increasing the size of the drum also degrade collection performance? Seems logical that it would. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak View Post
    Do you think I'll make up for any loss due to the addition of the SDD by using 6" hose from the Jet to the SDD and 5" to the machines? I'm not necessarily asking for engineering studies here, just a confirmation that changing to bigger hose is or isn't likely to offset any SDD loss.
    I think you will see a benefit if you can make the connection between the DC and the SDD with a smooth walled pipe out of PVC or metal. I see a some loss due to my transition and the losses in the flex tubing. I see much lest dust making it to the DC now the the SDD is sitting in front of it.

My goal is to change my setup to 5" runs to the drops and a smooth transition between the SDD and the DC. That should help out the DC efficiency.

Mark

Dave,

I removed the double 4" wye on my Delta, and use a 5-6in reducer to the SDD. From the SDD I use 5in hose to my machines. The hose is only 8 ft long and can reach all my machines. Everything I've read says going from 4in to 5in will offer better performance. I also increased my 4in ports to 5in where possible. I agreee that a 17 gal drum is two small, I use a 35 gal drum and sometimes wish it was 55. The drum size should not affect your perfomance (I think). The SDD does cause a loss, but its better than not having it and having a clogged wynn filter which greatly affects performance. I drilled a 2 1/4 inch hole in the top lid of my drum and installed a clear sight from mcmaster.com. You could also just use plexiglass. Now I can see in and tell how filled the drum is. The other indicator of a filled drum is when you start seeing chips in your clear plastic botton bag.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak View Post
    This SDD really has me intrigued. I'm using a Jet 1100 RC (I think, anyway). It has the canister filter and a remote. It's barely adequate for my big Minimax combo, so I'm a little concerned about any loss in ability due to the SDD. However, the Jet has a 6" port with a double 4" wye on it and I'm using 4" hose. Do you think I'll make up for any loss due to the addition of the SDD by using 6" hose from the Jet to the SDD and 5" to the machines? I'm not necessarily asking for engineering studies here, just a confirmation that changing to bigger hose is or isn't likely to offset any SDD loss.

I also see that Oneida offers a 17 gallon drum for $89. Seems kind of small to me, and I'd prefer something I can see through so I know when it's filling up. Does increasing the size of the drum also degrade collection performance? Seems logical that it would. Thanks.

Thanks guys. I would have assumed that the size of the drum would make a difference, for much the same reason the SDD makes a difference.

I know this thread is about a year old, but I am in the process of embarking on a similar pursuit. I am in the process of converting my 1-1/2Hp Steel City dust collector into a 2 stage system using a Super Dust Deputy and an improved canister filter.

My initial thoughts have been to dis-assemble the unit and fab a wall bracket mount out of box tubing to mount the blower and motor directly over the cyclone. I plan on running a 6" PVC trunk line to my table saw, having a nearby floor sweep, a dedicated shared plug in for my portable 6" jointer or my lunch box planer. I am also planning on continuing the 6" trunk to a home built hood on my SCMS and leaving spot for my router which is a fixed unit. The whole run measures 24-26 feet in length and will have 4-inch flex connections at the machines only and will be gated to allow only one tool collection at a time. I have a sketch from cad showing the cyclone set up I intend on assembling.

So, how has your Super Dust Deputy set-ups worked now at the one year mark? Let me know what you think of your systems and my proposed one?

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Williams 53072; 01-30-2014 at 6:03 PM. Reason: Typo
    Wonder rather than doubt is the root of all knowledge.