Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need help?

Do I need help?

I can’t seem to buy enough saw blades to satisfyme. Every time I get near one I want to buy it, expensive or cheap it doesn’t seem to matter. I now have fifteen blades for my table saw. They range from aWWII to I don’t know what. And its not just thin kerfs or regular, its also stacked dado’s. I wasn’t happy with my stacked dado after I had it sharpened soI bought a new one. Two weeks later I ran onto a good sale on Delta stackeddado’s, so I bought two of them. (I did send one to my son). Come to think ofit, it my be all woodworking tools. Over the past ten years I’ve bought fivetable saws, three jointers, three planers, three band saws, two drill press,two lathes, two spindle sanders, two belt/disk sanders, two drum sanders, threedust collectors, and I don’t know what else. Now I looking forward to the St.Louis woodworking show because I think I need a GRR Ripper, or two, or three. Please tell me this is normal, that all of you do the same thing, and that I don’t need counseling. Oh, and did I tell you about my lumber…my bottles of glue….my sandpaper….my rasp.....

Blog Entries
    It is a sickness to which there is no cure. Thank God.

There may be a 12 step program for saw blade junkies. Do a google search. Thee has to be a cure out there some place. :-) Hi my name is David. I love saw blades.
    David B

It will either run you into a financial hole, or you'll just get over it, in time.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

i think i see the problem.
    you need a bigger shop

15 saw blades isnt that much. im sure if most of us counted them we would have nearly 10.
    i have a press in the shop for blades. there could be 25 in there between the 2 tablesaws,2 chop saws, skil saw, battery circular saw, track saw,

you need a ganged saw so that you can rip saw five or ten boards at once

The Great Tool Buying Philosophy Five Step Program

Step 1: Denial
    No honey, I swear I didn't buy a new tool.
    That one over there? No, I've had that one for ages
    I do not have a tool buying problem

Step 2: Anger
    Why are tools so expensive?
    I don't understand why you are so upset over this tool purchase. I don't bother you about your spending.
    Who is that clown bidding against me on this tool?

Step 3: Bargaining
    I will be so much more productive when I have this tool.
    How about I give you $250 for it, and we'll call it even?
    It's overkill, but I can help a lot of my friends trim large panels with this tool.

Step 4: Depression
    Why did I spend so much on that tool?
    I'm out of shop space.
    I should have gotten the Deluxe model to begin with.

Step 5: Acceptance
    I have more tools than most people.
    I'm the envy of all the woodworkers I know.
    Norm feels inadequate after visiting my shop.

Do I need help?
    Yep - you sure do need help.

Let me help you.....
    Mosey on over to the freebie forum and sign up for a freebie custom blade for Carbide Prosessors .

See how much help that was?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tabor View Post
    I can’t seem to buy enough saw blades to satisfyme. Every time I get near one I want to buy it, expensive or cheap it doesn’t seem to matter. I now have fifteen blades for my table saw. They range from aWWII to I don’t know what. And its not just thin kerfs or regular, its also stacked dado’s. I wasn’t happy with my stacked dado after I had it sharpened soI bought a new one. Two weeks later I ran onto a good sale on Delta stackeddado’s, so I bought two of them. (I did send one to my son). Come to think ofit, it my be all woodworking tools. Over the past ten years I’ve bought fivetable saws, three jointers, three planers, three band saws, two drill press,two lathes, two spindle sanders, two belt/disk sanders, two drum sanders, threedust collectors, and I don’t know what else. Now I looking forward to the St.Louis woodworking show because I think I need a GRR Ripper, or two, or three. Please tell me this is normal, that all of you do the same thing, and that I don’t need counseling. Oh, and did I tell you about my lumber…my bottles of glue….my sandpaper….my rasp.....
    No Jim, this is NOT normal, and you need serious intervention. The only way out is COLD TURKEY. You need to pack up ALL your tools, equipment, and accessories and ship them to me IMMEDIATELY. It will be a bit of a burden, but I am willing to do it for a fellow human being.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    I can help. Take 5 of your best blades and ship them to me. That will give you 10 and me 10 and we'll be even.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ok,

I admit it too. I am a tool collector. I would come out of the closet, but it's full of tools, too. I have tools I have bought so that I could compare them with others I already have, then sell the loser. Still got most of the winners.....and losers.

I don't have the nerve to list all my duplicates, but I will admit I have bought stuff off CL just because it was a real bargain, and I didn't want someone else to get the deal. There I said it. I am so ashamed.

Gotta go, another deal just came up.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tabor View Post
    I can’t seem to buy enough saw blades to satisfyme. Every time I get near one I want to buy it, expensive or cheap it doesn’t seem to matter. I now have fifteen blades for my table saw. They range from aWWII to I don’t know what. And its not just thin kerfs or regular, its also stacked dado’s. I wasn’t happy with my stacked dado after I had it sharpened soI bought a new one.
    Actually a lot famous people and celebrities are going to re-hab for various addictions. It's the latest rage and very "in" right now, so you have a cutting edge problem.

Jim, you certainly do need help, mainly with your decision making process.

Jim, in what universe would it seem like a good idea to come to Sawmill Creek for help with a tool purchasing addiction???????????????

regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Jim, you certainly do need help, mainly with your decision making process.

Jim, in what universe would it seem like a good idea to come to Sawmill Creek for help with a tool purchasing addiction???????????????

regards, Rod.
    Rod, I love this comment! You are sooooo right!

Yeah, sorta like going to the liquor store for an AA meeting!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry is right, we need a 12 step meeting place.

I bet a Woodcraft store would let us use a room

Rick P