Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Hearing Protection

Electronic Hearing Protection

I was wondering if you guys (and gals) had any input on a good set of electronic hearing protection earmuffs for use in a woodworking shop.

I've been using the passive type from the shooting range for years but wanted to see if the electronic ones would be a reasonable substitution.

I work with my brother and when we both have our hearing protection on we either have to scream to hear each other or turn off the equipment.

We normally run a dust collector coupled with one stationary tool (tablesaw, router table, planer, jointer, drum sander, etc.) plus an overhead air filter.

Thanks for your input!

Joe

Blog Entries
    Want to listen to music while you work?
    http://gizmodo.com/5944636/the-best-...ing-headphones
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I just want to be able to communicate with my brother while we work.

I love music but there's enough activity going on in the shop already without me breaking out my dance moves.

If you want to try it out without spending a lot of money, I bought a pair at Harbor Freight for less than $20. When turned off they are like regular muffs.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    I was wondering if you guys (and gals) had any input on a good set of electronic hearing protection earmuffs for use in a woodworking shop.

I've been using the passive type from the shooting range for years but wanted to see if the electronic ones would be a reasonable substitution.

I work with my brother and when we both have our hearing protection on we either have to scream to hear each other or turn off the equipment.

We normally run a dust collector coupled with one stationary tool (tablesaw, router table, planer, jointer, drum sander, etc.) plus an overhead air filter.

Thanks for your input!

Joe
    I just want to emphasize that noise cancelling headphones are NOT, repeat NOT hearing protection. This is not directed at you Joe... I'm just heading off the Bose headphone suggestions before they get started. In-ear monitor "plugs" are a different matter.

I have a set of Peltors that work well. IIRC Woodcraft sells a similar product for ~ $50.

I don't think its possible to talk to your brother while wearing noise cancelling headphones since he is outside the headphones and will be treated like exterior noise. You may need radio headsets like the motorcycle riders use to talk to each while driving down the highway.

I've been looking at the Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs on Amazon. They claim to allow you to hear low level sounds like speech but automatically shut off amplification whenever harmful sound levels are reached. The earmuffs effectively block any noise, continuous or impulse, of 82 decibels or more. I guess if all the machinery is running, they may be shutting off everything all the time? Does anyone have any experience with these or one of the Peltor models?

I have a set of the Peltor that work like this, plus have a plug for Ipod use. I think I found them by looking for shooting protection, although I use them for woodworking. Surprisingly enough they work very good and just as described. They were not however cheap.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I have a pair of Ryobi that actually work decently. I don't have any real use for them, just got them with some some other 4v stuff. I use them when mowing the lawn to listen to a mp3 player; when woodworking I prefer quiet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    I've been looking at the Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs on Amazon. They claim to allow you to hear low level sounds like speech but automatically shut off amplification whenever harmful sound levels are reached. The earmuffs effectively block any noise, continuous or impulse, of 82 decibels or more. I guess if all the machinery is running, they may be shutting off everything all the time? Does anyone have any experience with these or one of the Peltor models?
    I don't know about this specific brand, but I had some experience with ear protectors that "cut out" loud noise levels but still let you hear less loud sounds. The problem was they amplified low noise levels. Running my cordless drill sounded like I was running a lawn mower.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I don't know about this specific brand, but I had some experience with ear protectors that "cut out" loud noise levels but still let you hear less loud sounds. The problem was they amplified low noise levels. Running my cordless drill sounded like I was running a lawn mower.
    That's funny! Luckily for us, we only don the hearing protection when we crank up the dust collector and another machine tool. We don't worry about the smaller tools so much.

Although a bit pricey. These work really well. They also allow me to pipe in music or Podcasts with an FM transmitter connected to my PC.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Hear...=peltor+alertt

James

I would absolutely love to find a pair of affordable headphones that are both noise canceling and Bluetooth. I have found some but at lottery winner price points.

I use iPhone Bluetooth in the shop to the shop stereo but when using the planer or saw, the tool noise over powers the stereo. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    I just want to emphasize that noise cancelling headphones are NOT, repeat NOT hearing protection. This is not directed at you Joe... I'm just heading off the Bose headphone suggestions before they get started. In-ear monitor "plugs" are a different matter.

I have a set of Peltors that work well. IIRC Woodcraft sells a similar product for ~ $50.
    I have a set of Bose noise reduction headphones that I use primarily for air travel. They work great for removing background noise. I had not thought about using them in the shop and don't intend to start. I use ear plugs in the shop. But now I'm curious. What is the difference between Bose noise reduction headsets and the Peltor ones linked in Jame's earlier post. Not trying to open a debate -- just curious why one is considered hearing protection and the other is not.

Keep in mind the noise reduction rating on most of the units with mp3 inputs and the electronic low level boost is quite low, I'm seeing only 19 dba reduction rating? At work I'm wearing basic peltor red and black head phones , they are rated a 30 dba reduction, ear plugs often go beyond that. I guess you have to evaluate the noise level you are dealing with and the duration of exposure too. I'm sometimes subjected to 4+ hours per day above 100 decibels, I'd rather have hearing at the end of the year than music, so I go for the basic boring units with the best protection. Does anyone know of a head phone that combines electronic low level boost, mp3 input and minimum 30 dba reduction rating?