Thread: Stock Kapex blade, safe for Aluminum?

Stock Kapex blade, safe for Aluminum?

I need to make about a dozen cuts in some aluminum stock that’s about 1/12” thick. I was planning to use my stock blade for this task. Is this a bad idea? Will cutting aluminum damage the blade? I was planning to cut slowly, and set the saw speed control to 2.

I don’t cut aluminum very often, so getting a dedicated aluminum blade would be a huge overkill, hence my question.

Thanks in advance

In my opinion, a disaster waiting to happen. What's the deal with everyone wanting to cut metal with wood cutting blades? And then not worrying about safety, just if the blade will be okay? Cutting sheet aluminum with a course tooth blade has catch and damage to metal and persons a high likelyhood. Use something else, like a saber saw. Festool makes one of those too.

I have done it many times. It is a miserable job, throwing aluminum shards all over. Once it broke two teeth off a brand new blade; okay, it was on thicker aluminum, but still. I haven't let aluminum near my kapex; just doesn't seem like a good thing to do to an expensive tool. I have used a circular saw and an cheap CMS.
    A jig saw is probably a better idea; somewhere that is easy to clean up.

Richard... except for the potential of catching some aluminum in your eyes, I don't see it as particularly dangerous. What do you see happening?

Festool sells a Aluminum/Plastic 68-Tooth Saw Blade with a triple chip design just for that purpose. I would not use my wood blade for cutting AL.

I'm sure the Kapex blade is pricey and the temptation is great but I would avoid it. You CAN cut aluminum with carbide...I've done it many times. Put a different (cheaper) carbide blade on and have it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'll second that advice, Festool blades for a Kapex average $100.00 on up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I'm sure the Kapex blade is pricey and the temptation is great but I would avoid it. You CAN cut aluminum with carbide...I've done it many times. Put a different (cheaper) carbide blade on and have it.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

The Festool Aluminum blade is $130. I never cut aluminum, so it's hard to justify that for just one project. I appreciate all of the advice from everyone. I think I am going to give it a whirl, and very carefully monitor the results. Wish me luck!

I checked and HF doesn't sell a cheap enough metal break to cut that cheaper than a $50 Oshlun Kapex blade that can cut aluminum from Amazon.

I'd probably just buy an off brand kapex replacement blade that fits the kapex.