Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snackpin Scrap Wood Project

Snackpin Scrap Wood Project

I shared this on another forum and had a good response, so I thought some Creekers might like it. Here's an easy project that you can put to good use in the kitchen, or add to your craft show arsenal. It's my take on a clothes pin style snack keeper. I made several of these years ago and ran across some partially completed blanks while cleaning up recently. I couldn't remember how I made them, so here is how I reconstructed the crime. Apologies for the cell phone pics.
    Pin-9 (Small) - Copy.jpg
    It starts with a blank about 8" long by 1-1/4" square. On the band saw, cut a 3/16" wide kerf about 4-1/2" long into one end of the blank to create the two pin legs. Be sure to orient the grain so the pin won't easily split. Cut a set of duck lips on the legs, then insert a 1-1/2" long piece of scrap the same width as the kerf into the end and tack in place with a drop of CA glue, as shown. You will be removing this later, so don't get carried away.
    Pin-1 (Small) - Copy.jpg
    Mount the blank and turn the end that will be the the head of the pin round to fit in the small jaws of whatever chuck you have. I use a Steb center and the cone from my Oneway live center to do this. The cone centers the block. I don't want to put a lot of pressure on the waste wood at this point.
    Pin-2 (Small) - Copy.jpg
    Mount the blank in your chuck and use the waste block to stabilize the blank with your tail stock. Rough the pin round. I'm using a cup point in the tail stock here because the oneway point was a bit large.
    Pin-4 (Small) - Copy.jpg
    Lay out your design. I turn the body of the pin down to about 3/4".
    Pin-5 (Small) - Copy.jpg
    And turn, turn, turn, sand, sand , sand. If you are good with a skew you won't have to do much.
    Pin-6 (Small) - Copy.jpg
    I add a coat of Mahoney's Utility finish at this point while the lathe is spinning. Then cut the blank off and touch up the end with sand paper.
    Pin-7 (Small) - Copy.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 01-25-2013 at 5:16 PM. Reason: spelling

A twist of a small skew pops out the waste wood and a little touch up on the lips and inside the kerf with a fine file and some sand paper, a little more finish...
    Pin-8 (Small) - Copy.jpg
    and she's ready for snacks
    Pin-10 (Small).jpg
    Certainly other methods of work can achieve the same results. Do whatever works for you.

Happy snacking!
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 01-26-2013 at 2:59 PM. Reason: spelling

cool Ted, i need some of those

I think this is a great idea, I will be giving this a try.

Thanks Ted, I'll just add these to the list. Gotta have a reason to get up in the morning.
    Just as I was getting used to yesterday, along came today....

Like that!
    C&C WELCOME

Great idea, thanks for sharing.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Brilliant! I'm always losing or breaking the cheesy plastic ones you buy at the store. I'll have to make up a bunch of these. Thanks for sharing!

thanks for sharing the project.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Great idea Ted. You could go crazy with all different kinds of design options and wood variations. Also a good use of those scraps laying around the shop.

Those are pretty cool Ted. Thanks for showing how you made them. I'm going to have to make a few myself.

Thanks Ted. My wife saw those and said I want some. Oh well just another on the list. lol Those are cool Ted. I must admit.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the kind words folks. Hope you will post your version when you are done. Apologies for adding to your lists....misery loves company

Cool little project Ted! Thanks for the "how to".
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Neat idea Ted, useful, economical and fun to boot! Gaahhhh, another project to add to the ever growing list.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."